[HELP] How to connect laptop with PC?

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
Xtremee

[HELP] How to connect laptop with PC?

Post by Xtremee » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:46 pm

Hi all,
At the beging you will say Why don't you just try google for that? Sure i had tried it but it don't work so i post here in this forum
I have a PC based on Windows xp and laptop (DELL latitude D610) and wanna to establish a network between them so that i can transfer my data between my computers.
i get a USB 2.0 cable and try:
In any folder click Tools-> Map Network Drive... -> Then select Z: drive and write "\\My_Computer_Name" but it didin't work
Also i have a serial Cable so i think on try doing direct connection between to computers using method here -> http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/Dummies ... -2817.html
but it still didn't work !
btw, in my laptop there are many COMs in the device manager but i have only one in hardware !!
the names of COMs i have
COM1,COM6, COM7, COM10, COM11, COM12, COM13, COM14, COM20 and COM21.
i tried COM1
I think that this is a stupid but i try to connect a Telephone cable between two modems in my computer and sure it didin't work !

So, What shall i do now ?!!

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:22 pm

We need more information to help you best. Do you own both computers? If so, do you plan on keeping them both around? Are you on dial-up or broadband internet? Your answers to these questions will help to determine what type of network would be best for you and the equipment you'll need.

Connecting telephone modems directly to each other won't work, Xtremee, because they'll never receive a dial tone. They aren't meant to function without a carrier signal provided by a telephone company.

(I've never had any luck setting up null modem connections. Maybe somebody with useful experience could chime in.)

Of course, if you want something quick and dirty you could just get a flash drive. Sneakernet is the oldest trick in the book, and still the easiest. :P

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:40 am

OK... you need a router. and 2 or 3 Ethernet cables.

If you will share internet (High Speed you need 3 Ethernet cables).

Plug your DSL modem ethernet to the routers WAN port. This is the port that usually is all by itself. Then you connect the other 2 ethernet cables to any of the other ports and connect the other ends to the Network ports on the back of the computer and laptop.

Now you make sure both computers are a part of the same workgroup by right clicking My computer and choosing Properties.

Then click the computer name tab and type the same workgroup for each computer... but different computer names on each computer.

Next step you right click a folder where you want to share files and select properties. Go to the sharing tab. Select just enable file sharing. Place a check to share this dirrectory and allow users to modify files.

Now go to the other computer and click on Start > Run and type \\computername\sharename

you should see the shared files.

===============

if you are not sharing internet you follow the same steps except instead of a router you get a Hub or Switch. And you do not need to worry about a WAN port.

Or instead of a Hub or Switch... you can get one Crossover cable and directly connect both computers together with 1 crossover cable.

these are the reccommended methods of sharing files between computers. the methods in that link are definatly stupid in my opinion. I don't see the point in doing it that way. You can even read the end of the artical and it says:
Note that regular Ethernet networking is about a jillion times faster than direct connection. Don't be surprised when you discover this is a slow way to keep your laptop updated.
If you've tried and this really doesn't work, then avoid the frustration of troubleshooting the connection and instead get the Ethernet cable, and then network your desktop and laptop PCs the "real" way.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

Xtremee

Post by Xtremee » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:52 pm

@ 5eraph,
We need more information to help you best. Do you own both computers?
I don't think that this question will make any sense to the connection. Any way YES i own both laptop for my work and my HOME PC
do you plan on keeping them both around?
YES
Are you on dial-up or broadband internet?
broadband.
Connecting telephone modems directly to each other won't work, Xtremee, because they'll never receive a dial tone. They aren't meant to function without a carrier signal provided by a telephone company.
:lol: I know that so i said
I think that this is a stupid but i try to connect a Telephone cable between two modems in my computer and sure it didin't work !
Hope that is the needed info to help !!
================================================
@ Siginet
OK... you need a router. and 2 or 3 Ethernet cables.
What !!
You must be kidding. Are you?
A router is used to connect a group of PCs (not only 2 PCs) or a network to wan(internet).
Sure it will work but Cost will be high and no need to it. I'm working with cost effective way.
you can get one Crossover cable and directly connect both computers together with 1 crossover cable.
this is better
the methods in that link are definatly stupid in my opinion. I don't see the point in doing it that way. You can even read the end of the artical and it says:
I also find this way in Microsoft KB here ->http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305621
===============================================
i'm still asking about :
CAN I CONNECT MY 2 PCs WITH MY USB CABLE OR MY SERIAL ONE ?
btw, i heard about laplink software or something like that...!!

n7Epsilon

Post by n7Epsilon » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:33 pm

You can connect 2 PCs with a special kind of USB cable (normal one won't work) and the special one I am referring to is not easily found in our country.

The most cost effective option is crossover ethernet cable.

Serial cable, yes you can with direct cable connection in Windows XP (in fact I did it before with my laptop and desktop when I urgently needed access and didn't have a ethernet cable) but the speed will be terribly slow (cannot do file sharing) only 115.2 Kbps maximum...

Parallel (printer) cable would also work but you will still have a very low maximum speed.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:19 pm

I ask those specific questions, Xtremee, because I was recently in a similar situation with very different goals. You did not mention (or even hint) that you would also share an internet connection on a permanent basis.

You have the following options:
  1. Cheap 4 port switched router with the necessary CAT5 cabling and ethernet NICs, or
  2. Internet Connection Sharing, using:
    • RS-232C null modem cable - Not recommended because of very low speeds (less than dialup).
    • IEEE1394 (Firewire) - Good speeds (400 Mbit), but not commonly used for PCs.
    • Two ethernet NICs and a CAT5 crossover cable - 10/100 Mbit speeds, depending on the cards used, and very reliable. A third NIC will be needed to connect your broadband modem unless it connects via USB.
    • n7Epsilon's USB solution - I've never heard of it, but could provide 12 Mbit or 480 Mbit speeds, depending on USB version used (1.1 or 2.0).
Last edited by 5eraph on Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

n7Epsilon

Post by n7Epsilon » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:26 pm

It's with something called a USB Direct Connect Cable in which wires are connected to each other in a different way and requires a special driver on both ends to interface.

Something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/USB-Direct-Link-C ... B000BL3M44

Xtremee

Post by Xtremee » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:34 pm

@ n7Epsilon,
You can connect 2 PCs with a special kind of USB cable (normal one won't work) and the special one I am referring to is not easily found in our country.
The USB i get is laplink USB 2.0 and i get it from Bab el-look from the Mall (el-Bostan Mall)near the AUC there.
The one like this
http://www.laplink.com/cables/detail.ht ... 0USB%202.0
but it don't have such this big thing in the cable!! :rolleyes:
Serial cable, yes you can with direct cable connection in Windows XP (in fact I did it before with my laptop and desktop when I urgently needed access and didn't have a ethernet cable) but the speed will be terribly slow (cannot do file sharing) only 115.2 Kbps maximum...
i'm astonish to finally find one telling me that this method work !
So for the seak of knowlege can you tell me HOW to get this thing to work ?

=========================================================================================
@ 5eraph,
RS-232C null modem cable - Not recommended because of very low speeds (less than dialup).
You must be kidding. Less than dailup !!
it is seam as transfering one file per day
:oops:
IEEE1394 (Firewire) - Good speeds (400 Mbit), but not commonly used for PCs.
sure i don't have firewire in my PC
Two fast ethernet NICs and a CAT5 crossover cable - 10/100 Mbit speeds, depending on the cards used, and very reliable.
let me ask more about this
the crossover cable as i think is a 8 wire cable like DSL one with different wire order connection (1 with 3 and ....etc) so that it is easy to make it my self !
right
n7Epsilon's USB solution - I've never heard of it, but could provide 12 Mbit or 480 Mbit speeds, depending on USB version used (1.1 or 2.0).
For more info -> http://www.laplink.com

btw,
I was recently in a similar situation with very different goals
What is your choice?

:rolleyes:

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:42 pm

I only had to transfer files between two computers so I used a flash drive. :)

You have the right idea about the CAT5 crossover cable. You can make your own as long as you know the pinout.

Xtremee

Post by Xtremee » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:50 pm

I only had to transfer files between two computers so I used a flash drive.
The same case i have and i also use a flash driver for that but mine is too small and i also wanna to get my laptop connected to the internet network through my Desktop PC. :P
You have the right idea about the CAT5 crossover cable. You can make your own as long as you know the pinout.
it is sound is good
:wink:

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:57 am

As long as you aren't needing internet on the computers you can use the crossovercable. All It is is an ethernet cable that has a couple wires swapped at one end.

Routers are very cheap... and often come with an ethernet cable. You can find a basic router for like $25. It is your best method if you still want to use the internet. Because if you use a crossovercable then how are you gonna hook up your internet? Both computers will be without internet... unless you are going to hook your internet in a weird way which will mess up the speed of your internet. Or you are gonna need to purchase a seperate nic card to handle the internet and setup internet connection sharing between the computers (Which sucks)... and you'll be paying for a nic card... when you can pay for a cheap router:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833180041

Laplink will allow you to backup files and settings from one computer to the other but won't be used as a permanent file sharing method... at least I never heard of anyone doing that... and I don't think its possible or smart. Or there is also AlohaBob PC Relocator that does it as well.

Bottom line is... to do this the correct way (and most efficient)... you need a router. Any of the other ways will not give you everything you need, will be very slow, or/and be very tedious to do.

The way I look at things is... time is money. If I am spending too much time setting up something that has no way of performing very well... just to save $10 bucks... then I would be wasting my time.

It'll be a good experiance... and you learn something... but I bet you break down and either give up... or buy a router. ;)
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

Xtremee

Post by Xtremee » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:02 am

@ Siginet,
Routers are very cheap... and often come with an ethernet cable. You can find a basic router for like $25. It is your best method if you still want to use the internet. Because if you use a crossovercable then how are you gonna hook up your internet? Both computers will be without internet... unless you are going to hook your internet in a weird way which will mess up the speed of your internet.
Why router? i think the switch is the one that is suitable in this case !! :idea: