Propper way to do .net 1.1, 2.0, 3.0 integration.

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
generalleoff

Propper way to do .net 1.1, 2.0, 3.0 integration.

Post by generalleoff » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:38 am

Theres a bit of talk and progress being made on methods to integrate these but I personally don't think they are being dealt with in the right way.

If you have an integrated SP2 install disc and run the setup.exe file from an already installed OS you should see an option that says "perform additional tasks" and one of the listed tasks is install .net framework.

On most of you guys discs this feature is proly none functional cuz the official Microsoft integrate command and the RyanVM integrator do not place the required files on the disc. They can be found on that blue SP2 CD Microsoft gave away for free back when SP2 was new. It's a folder named "DOTNETFX" and it must be placed in the same folder as setup.exe.

This installs .net 1.1 + SP1 + a few additional updates but not all.

In my opinion this is how .net should be installed rather then being hacked up to be switchless or integrated into the main install process. If it is passable to hack this menu to add entry's for .net 2.0 and 3.0 I think it would be better.

I feel the same about IE7 and WMP11. If they can be added to this menu it would be cleaner and safer then hacking and integrating them.

Just my opinion.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:09 am

Thanks for sharing
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

willpantin

Post by willpantin » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:16 pm

Thanks for sharing
Man, that made me laugh...! My thoughts exactly, Ryan... :lol:

dumpydooby

Post by dumpydooby » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:16 pm

Would you be willing to opine on our current codependent foreign relations with China? Personally, I find it to be interesting that the percentage of imports from Asia have gone from 41% in 1994 to 34% in 2006, yet China is often regarded as "stealing jobs" from American manufacturers. It's also interesting that American exports to China and abroad have increased as well, meaning China is not dwarfing the United States in worldwide production. Since you're feeling so opinionated, I would like for you to provide me with your take on this matter. Thank you for your time.

ITinerant

Post by ITinerant » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:54 pm

rootfile

And the Pulitzer Prize goes to...

Post by rootfile » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:56 pm

@RyanVM, that's some real verbal precision in your reply :D :D :D

TJHart85

Post by TJHart85 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:12 pm

Thanks for sharing
That was hilarious.

It wouldn't be so bad if OP would at least give SOME reasoning.

Its all "In my opinion" and "I feel". If he said "In my experience" or "I've noticed" it would be a lot better.

If OP simply explained and said Windows it glitchy and unstable in my experience when I use Ryan's switchless installer, he could have a point (not one many of us would agree with, but we could at least respect it).

Instead he gives ABSOLUTELY no reasoning at all, just comes and says everything you people are doing is wrong, you should do it this way instead.
Well, why even bother creating an account to say that? Especially when you give no reasoning.
Numbers written on restaurant bills within the confines of restaurants do not follow the same mathematical laws as numbers written on any other pieces of paper in any other parts of the Universe.
--Douglas Adams

generalleoff

Post by generalleoff » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:29 am

actually the reasoning was pretty obvios. it also was not meant to say something done here is bad, or broken. it was just an opinion on a more clean way of doing something, a more official oem like solution. if you disagree thats fine. I wont lose sleep over it. just don't be assholes about it. but hey being assholes on the internet is standard practice isn't it? especially if your fearless leader gets it started right? makes the site and the project look like it is populated by a bunch of typical 14 year old internet morons. but whatever. have fun.

TJHart85

Post by TJHart85 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:09 pm

generalleoff wrote:actually the reasoning was pretty obvios. it also was not meant to say something done here is bad, or broken. it was just an opinion on a more clean way of doing something, a more official oem like solution. if you disagree thats fine. I wont lose sleep over it. just don't be assholes about it. but hey being assholes on the internet is standard practice isn't it? especially if your fearless leader gets it started right? makes the site and the project look like it is populated by a bunch of typical 14 year old internet morons. but whatever. have fun.
OEMs do things pretty similar in many cases. That is why the $OEM$ folders exist, OEMS are probably why the SVCpack way of installations even exist (just a guess, [sarcasm] but the reasoning is pretty obvious [/sarcasm].

Having WMP11, IE7 and Dotnet1.1-3 already installed when you first boot to windows seems like a much "cleaner" way of doing things than clicking a bunch of buttons when you're done with the windows installation. If you wanna do that, go ahead, make your own autoplay menu, others have done it in the past.

Our "fearless" leader has spent a lot of time & effort making these things possible, on other boards, I've seen the owner ban people for less than what you said, so Ryan is fair, he acknowledged that he saw your post & left it at that.
The rest of us thought it was funny (still do).

And by the way, coming into a board and claiming you know the "proper" way to do things and everyone else is wrong is a very 14-year old internet moron way to do things.

But, thats just my opinion, I could be wrong.
Numbers written on restaurant bills within the confines of restaurants do not follow the same mathematical laws as numbers written on any other pieces of paper in any other parts of the Universe.
--Douglas Adams

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:46 pm

Okay, okay. Enough messing with the new guy.

It's funny how a simple three word phrase can hold so much meaning (or not). Obviously, people ran with it. Was no one here new at one time or other?

There's nothing wrong with sharing opinions. Everyone should be open-minded enough to respect those that don't share theirs as long as they're expressed intelligently. We can agree to disagree without fighting or being sarcastic about it.