unable to hibernate

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
runningfool87

unable to hibernate

Post by runningfool87 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:20 pm

running XP x64, and i cant seem to even enable hibernation, let alone use it. i never had this problem with 32-bit windows, but i will not be switching from 64-bit.

i read an article explaining that windows disables hibernation if you have more than 4GB RAM (basically you have to add a switch to BOOT.INI, capping the RAM at 4096). however, i have exactly 4 gigs.

not being able to hibernate isnt a huge issue, but it would be nice to use it instead of suspending or powering down completely. has this happened to anyone else, and is there a reasonable fix for it?

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:45 am

I'm guessing you're talking about KB888575. I run XP x64 with 4GB as well, but I haven't hit this issue because I usually disable hibernation anyway. Wish I could be more helpful.

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:15 am

if done this once the fix will solve your problem but you will basically be limiting the amount of ram your system gets to play funky with, plus hibernation with high amounts of ram are not as fast at reloading as you think, basically picture copying a folder with dvd contents form one internal harddisk to a next internal harddisk, your better off disabling hibernation with anything over 2 gigs if you ask me, also if you have anything over two gigs its not worth disabling the amount of ram which your system can use simply to enable hibernation. UNLESS your using a laptop, but i doubt you have a laptop with that much ram in it, and if you do then share the love brother donate to paypal :D
Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things