Site issue...being logged out too quickly?

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
jbob

Site issue...being logged out too quickly?

Post by jbob » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:33 pm

More of a question I guess. Occasionally I am logged in to the forum and may go away for a few minutes but then notice it shows me not logged in anymore. Is there a default time limit or a way to change it? I don't seem to see anything like that in my Profile settings. Or it could be something else causing me to be logged out.

I just typed in a lengthy reply only to find I was logged out and lost what I typed! lol

runningfool87

Post by runningfool87 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:14 am

its not a bug, its there intentionally...and if you think about it, logging off users after X minutes is probably better than just letting everyone stay logged on perpetually and possibly bogging down the server.

if youre about to post something on this site and arent sure if youre still logged on or not, just open a new tab and go to ryanvm's homepage. from there youll be able to see if youre still logged on or not.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:30 am

Another suggestion: Use the Preview button a lot. And if you're writing something for longer than 5 minutes, select all in the frame and copy it to an empty text file on your desktop just in case you get an "Invalid Session" message when trying to post. Believe me, it'll save you a lot of time rewriting.

jbob

Post by jbob » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:55 am

5 Minutes huh? Geesh that's not long at all! lol Maybe you should think about doubling that at least. My opinion is 15 minutes might be a good point but guess you guys that manage things have your reasons. Not that much of a biggie now that I know

Luckily I was able to use the Back button on my browser far enough and got me back to the page where I was entering my post. From there I just copied and pasted again. :-)

I do notice you can also see whether you are still logged in with a page refresh or page change on the top menu of the Forums pages. Guess a constant Preview would help too.

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:20 am

I am not sure if it is related, but on my more lengthy posts in firefox, I have a similar issue. However, when I do press the 'post' button, it brings be straight back to what I was typing. Then I just hit 'submit' again and it goes through. It might just be a slight limitation of IE to cause you to lose everything.

FYI.
A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open.
--Anonymous

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

jbob

Post by jbob » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:03 am

crashfly wrote:I am not sure if it is related, but on my more lengthy posts in firefox, I have a similar issue. However, when I do press the 'post' button, it brings be straight back to what I was typing. Then I just hit 'submit' again and it goes through. It might just be a slight limitation of IE to cause you to lose everything.

FYI.
Firefox user here. Guess I've seen it work both ways. For instance I was initially reading your post NOT logged in. I thin hit the Quote button, went to the login screen where I had the site/Fx remember my login credentials and was brought right by to the input/post screen. Other times after I have been sent to the login screen I end up back at a general point of the Forum.