Problems with BartPE and SP3 Source Files????

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
jbob

Problems with BartPE and SP3 Source Files????

Post by jbob » Sat May 24, 2008 5:53 pm

Thought I would add something I am seeing here as I know there are some other geeky guys who use this stuff.

I was creating an updated KAV Rescue disk a few days ago. With KAV, v7 in this case, the program itself allows you to create a Rescue CD(iso) with current definitions to run on a badly infected system. In case you don't know creating the CD requires a current version of BartPE also be installed. Well with this last version I was trying to create I was pointing to a SP3 slipstreamed i386 source than than the older SP2 source. And further my i386 source not only being slipstreamed with SP2 but also had been created by integrating with the latest hotfixes using the RyanVM integrator.

After the Rescue CD was created I could not get KAV to run. On a whim I tried it pointing to a SP2 source and it works fine. I posted to the Kasperky forum but so far no one has commented.

One comment on another site I posted this info suggested it could be BartPE itself. I posted to a BartPE forum(NU2 site seems to be down) on the UBCD4Win forum. After some further testing it looks like that indeed BartPE may need to be updated to work with the latest Service Pack from MS.

I tried to create an updated UBCD4Win boot CD and had errors with that as well. No errors if I use an older SP2 slipstreamed i386 source. With UBCD4Win I am able to use the files off a licensed KAV system to install to the Boot CD so with that I'm not using KAV itself to create the Rescue CD.

So with that I wonder if anyone can verify what I have seen? I certainly wouldn't know where to start with BartPE myself.

But it all works fine using a SP2 source. Even one that is updated with all the latest hotfixes using the RyanVM integrator.

roirraWedorehT

Post by roirraWedorehT » Sat May 24, 2008 7:47 pm

I haven't tried BartPE with SP3 yet but I will say that it's scary that the website is down. I wonder how long it's been that way? I can't imagine doing without it; I had used it since v0.x before it was Microsoft Legal Department-friendly.
Gigabyte case GZ-FA2CA-AJB
Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P with Realtek High Definition Audio
HIS Radeon HD 4850 512MB
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.3GHz
Corsair 4GB DDR2-6400 4-4-4-12
4x1TB SATA RAID 0+1/2x640GB SATA RAID 0/Misc. PATA
Windows 7 x64

jbob

Post by jbob » Sat May 24, 2008 8:46 pm

Well looks like it might not be as big an issue as I thought. I tried it with a simple SP3 Slipstreamed source, no Hotfix integration version, and it seems to work ok doing it that way. At least using KAV to create a Rescue Disk. Still working on a UBCD4Win version however.

I've never had an issue using an integrated version but I've been told that is a no no for BartPE versions.

roirraWedorehT

Post by roirraWedorehT » Sat May 24, 2008 10:12 pm

Ah, I was going to ask you about that but I only noticed you mentioning doing additional integrating with SP2 so I figured you hadn't with SP3.

Good to hear.

P.S. I had always integrated RVM Post-SP2 in my BartPE discs as well; I'll have to remember not to do anything similar with SP3, or at least to expect problems.
Gigabyte case GZ-FA2CA-AJB
Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P with Realtek High Definition Audio
HIS Radeon HD 4850 512MB
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.3GHz
Corsair 4GB DDR2-6400 4-4-4-12
4x1TB SATA RAID 0+1/2x640GB SATA RAID 0/Misc. PATA
Windows 7 x64

jbob

Post by jbob » Sat May 24, 2008 10:31 pm

Yep...verified. See my thread on the UBCD4Win Forums.

http://ubcd4win.com/forum/index.php?s=& ... st&p=60418

I was able to successfully make it work using a plain SP3 Slipstreamed source rather than the RyanVM intergrated one. As I mentioned in that thread I have always used a RyanVM integrated source for creating my UBCD4Win boot CDs and never had any issues. Matter of fact I can still use my latest Slipstreamed SP2 source modified with the latest Hotfixes(Apr 08) using RyanVM integrator. Works perfectly. Something with SP3 that causes something to not work correctly if modified.

As I have always done I Slipstream using the command line built into the service packs themselves rather than using say a program like Nlite or even the RyanVM intergrator itself. Then use the intergrator to further integrate the hotfixes, etc.