me defeated by vista..... holy cr*p!

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
yumeyao

me defeated by vista..... holy cr*p!

Post by yumeyao » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:40 pm

i can't understand why vista restarts the comp without any prompt after finishing, just really an anooooooyyyyyying setting.
my comp just got rebooted by vista:

let see what is installed(my os is chinese)..
it was Windows Search 4.0, which i could confirm i left the checkbox blank at early auto updating.

then my au settings:
sure the time is at 3:00 am!

the time now is 9:30 am!

well, AU installed an update i have canceled before, and at not the difined time, and then reboot my comp w/o any prompt.

Where did i go wrong?
holy cr*p. any other people who have expierenced this???
is M$ brain-dead??

I can't image:
how it installed windows search without my allowance.
how it installed at 9:30 am while my setting is at 3:00am.
why Vista reboot a comp without any prompt.[/img]
My work list(Hosted by dumpydooby)

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:54 pm

Vista = not your computer anymore

Seriously though, Microsoft has had the occasional problem with Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and even Automatic Updates in the past. So it would not surprise me if they are again having some issues. I did read that recently the servers which take care of activation and all the "Genuine" crap went down for a couple of days. Perhaps they are making some updates to try and prevent that from happening again and in the process a few bugs have crept in.

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:22 pm

I just set Vista to notify about updates and download but not to install without me giving OK, it will still restart after some installs, but at least you control when they install, also after SP1 for vista now it give a balloon popup asking if you would like to pospone restart.
Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:29 pm

As written here:
Windows Vista customers will see the update as a recommended update. Depending on the Windows Update settings on your Windows Vista SP1 client, WS4.0 may be installed automatically, updating the search capability in Windows Vista SP1.
This can answer your situation IMO.