XP Pro SP3 - Remote Desktop issue

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
zeeter

XP Pro SP3 - Remote Desktop issue

Post by zeeter » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:54 am

Not sure where to post this, but this is a very strange issue that I cannot find any information for.

I have 2 boxes, both XP Pro SP3, and I set one of them as an RDP server. The other is a client and it connects fine. But when I logoff the RD session, I get the "Reconnecting...The connection has been lost" screen. It's as if the session isn't closing gracefully. I did not have this issue when running SP2 so I don't know if this is a SP3 issue or maybe just a RD issue.

The client box I just installed yesterday using Ryan's Post SP3 BETA update 0.9.2 and so far everything seems to run smoothly except for this small annoyance. The RDP server has been running SP3 since release (manually upgraded).

If anyone else is experiencing this issue or knows a workaround I would definitely like to hear about it.

Thanks
Stephen

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:27 am

loose network cable?

zeeter

Post by zeeter » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:09 pm

Heh no, it's not a loose network cable. I wish it was that simple.

zeeter

Post by zeeter » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:52 pm

I'm thinking that RD was broken with SP3...as it was updated to 6.x :(

There have been lots of problems reported that I've found on google.

UPDATE: I think that there might be an issue with either SP3 and/or Ryan's BETA Post-SP3 update pack 0.9.2. Because when I enable RD on it, the server is running and listening in background (at least netstat shows that it is), but I cannot connect to it. It does not give any error msg, the RD client flashes and that's it. I've tried connecting to it from another XP SP3 client and a Vista SP1 client. Both did the same thing. The client just flashes and does nothing. I've tried using a hostname and ip. So maybe RD was broken with just this disc I made.

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:20 pm

well im not sure if this counts i run Windows XP SP3, updated manually (havent had a chance to intregrate ryans pack yet), and i Had the same issue, my solution was this i replace certain remote desktop files with some i reshacked from sp2 to allow multiple desktop connections a la Terminal server type of action, and since ive had no trouble.
if you still have your SP2 copy try giving them a swap.
Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things

zeeter

Post by zeeter » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:00 pm

Hmm...I'll see what I can find. I'm also gonna try making some new images and change which update packs I use to see if that makes a difference.

zeeter

Fixed it.

Post by zeeter » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:12 pm

Both problems with RD are now fixed. First I made a new xp image and this time I made it exactly the same only I didn't include Ryan's BETA Post-SP3 update. So I think that update might break something with the RD client or at least on my box it did. Disconnecting from RD sessions now ends gracefully and I'm not left with that annoying "Reconnecting" screen.

The next problem was much weirder. Even after wiping my system and using this new image, I still could not run RD as a server on this box. I tried connecting to it with XP SP3 and Vista SP1 clients and the only thing that happened was the connection window flashed for a second. There was no error or anything. Finally after googling I found that this problem is related to nvidia's newest driver offerings (175.16 and higher I think). It's not entirely related to nvidia though if you read the posts below. I'm just glad I found a fix for this before I went entirely crazy.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=70691

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?show ... ntry409535

http://blogs.technet.com/brad_rutkowski ... -load.aspx

I'm sure many of you run nvidia systems in here so this is a good find for sure if you didn't already know about it.

SelfMan

Post by SelfMan » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:12 pm

Yup... I've had that problem on my system too...

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]

"SessionImageSize"=dword:00000020

This fixes it...
But somehow I have the feeling that it got broken by som MS update and not the driver itself as I recall to use RDP before with the same NVidia drivers.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:18 am

SelfMan wrote:But somehow I have the feeling that it got broken by som MS update and not the driver itself as I recall to use RDP before with the same NVidia drivers.
This is correct. In fact I initially found the solution above on the nVidia forums because of an ATI card. I don't know for certain if this ever extends down to Intel's integrated GPUs, but between nVidia and ATI you got probably half the market.

SelfMan

Post by SelfMan » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:29 pm

RogueSpear wrote:
SelfMan wrote:But somehow I have the feeling that it got broken by som MS update and not the driver itself as I recall to use RDP before with the same NVidia drivers.
This is correct. In fact I initially found the solution above on the nVidia forums because of an ATI card. I don't know for certain if this ever extends down to Intel's integrated GPUs, but between nVidia and ATI you got probably half the market.
It might to do something with this:
http://blogs.msdn.com/robgruen/archive/ ... ation.aspx

MS might chnage the defaults for this value. I've found it in the intels vga inf file, where the value is set. Still weird...