Defragment replacement

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
neuropass

Defragment replacement

Post by neuropass » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:04 am

hello guys here i am again with my crazy question...
I want to set trough a reg entry my defrag app to be opened by default instead of the vista defrag... but i can't find the correct path in the registry...

here the example:

Could please anybody help me with this... no rush, when you guys have time... :wink:

neuropass

Post by neuropass » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:46 pm

RESOLVED

i used the same method that use processExplorer for replace the taskbar...

a reg entry that replace the original exe with my prefer application... 8) 8)

ccl0

Post by ccl0 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:18 am

mind sharing that info?

neuropass

Post by neuropass » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:26 am

ccl0 wrote:mind sharing that info?
So you guys are interested now eh?? nobody answered me to this post before... it took me over one week to understand how it was working...

it seems that you can replace whatever you want with that reg entry...

in my case i wanted to replace the vista defrag with perfect disk... so here the golden pot:

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\dfrgui.exe]
"Debugger"=""C:\\PROGRAM FILES\\RAXCO\\PERFECTDISK2008\\PERFECTDISK.EXE""

i think very very few people know about this... anyway secret revealed!!!!!

ccl0

Post by ccl0 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:23 pm

well i'm interested.. but i couldnt help with your problem lol

thanks for posting the solution though. it might help others in the future

neuropass

Post by neuropass » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:35 pm

no problem i was kind of joking... all the users always helped me with my silly questions!! :lol:

beats

Post by beats » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:46 am

Not to sounds like an arse or anything, but this board has a search function you know. code65536 wrote a guide that explains this subject in great detail. ;)

How to (cleanly) replace a Windows application

neuropass

Post by neuropass » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:41 am

yep you sound like that...:rolleyes: we are talking about vista. different stuff you know... this is a great info and i'm surprise of these few answer. i thought it would have been appreciated it here and i just answered my self the solution after days of research. i wanted to avoid the same to the other users. because you won't find this anywhere.

code65536

Post by code65536 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:28 pm

we are talking about vista. different stuff you know
This "image hijack" method works equally well in both NT 5.x and 6.x, and the section in the guide that beats linked to that discusses this method was not specific to any particular Windows version.

This method has been documented in various places online and is not a particularly big "secret". It's just not that used that often (mostly b/c it munges the command line which makes it unwieldy in many cases).
My addons: CmdOpen - HashCheck - Notepad2 - MS Runtimes - DirectX

Into the breach, meatbags!

neuropass

Post by neuropass » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:48 am

ok i see.. but nobody answered to my question when i first posted the question.. so i thought there was noway to replace the windows defrag, then i saw your guide about it and it seemed to difficult to follow... So i came a cross ProcessExplorer and i saw that this software developed by M$ technician was using that solution to replace the task manager... so i used that method. simple as a reg tweak without any complication. i thought it was just great... :rolleyes: