Check This out!

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
RickSteele

Check This out!

Post by RickSteele » Thu May 21, 2009 5:50 pm

http://www.rocketdivision.com/

download the freeware version of StarBurn v 12 here:

http://www.rocketdivision.com/download_starburn.html

This is a no frills, simple, accurate, unbloated gem of a DVD/CD burning solution. I've been using this on Windows XP Pro (x64) for 2 weeks now, and my daughter is using it on Windows 7 (x86)-DELL Laptop-burned many DVD's (RW and R +/-) with not one coaster. This also includes Windows 7 (x64) when I ran that for a little bit.
I'm running an LG Blu-Ray writer (GGW 20L) and it had no problems with it whatsoever on either OS.
I've permanently dumped Nero; I can't say enough good things about it.
Most definitely worth looking into. :D

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu May 21, 2009 6:28 pm

Nice find. :)

It still seems to be more than I'd need. I do like that it's free, but ImgBurn is too, and has a much smaller installation footprint than even StarBurn's portable installaion.

RickSteele

Post by RickSteele » Thu May 21, 2009 7:21 pm

Thanks 5eraph; doesn't ImgBurn basically only create/burn iso, img extensions type thing; I've tried it before and was unable to burn just data discs etc. for backup or whatever-possible I missed something here though....very specialized; not a total burning solution. Starburn reminds me a lot of what Nero used to be many years ago-sign of the times I guess!
I'm going to purchase a license for it-I really, really like it!!! LOL

ccl0

Post by ccl0 » Thu May 21, 2009 8:20 pm

change the title to something more descriptive

code65536

Post by code65536 » Thu May 21, 2009 8:49 pm

ImgBurn, back when it was still DVD Decrypter, used to be image-only. But ever since it was reborn as ImgBurn, it can do anything. Images. DVD-Video. Plain old drag-and-drop data files. Even create audio CDs from individual tracks (though the option to do that is a bit buried).

I use ImgBurn exclusively in part because of its light footprint and because it offers an extraordinarily high degree of control (e.g., all the file system options, down to the the Joliet rule relaxations and UDF versions) and hardcore features that are, well, unrivaled. And most importantly, the author is active in the online optical drive community, and we trust him (and that interaction with the ODD community is a big factor in ImgBurn's awesomeness--it caters well to those people who take ODDs very seriously and who are very picky about their optical drive's hard/firm/software).
Last edited by code65536 on Fri May 22, 2009 12:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
My addons: CmdOpen - HashCheck - Notepad2 - MS Runtimes - DirectX

Into the breach, meatbags!

ccl0

Post by ccl0 » Thu May 21, 2009 9:15 pm

eh, i tried it and didnt like it at all. it installed search toolbar and changed my default homepage to something else. i assume it was the mysterious 'starmedia' thing or whatever it was called. it had no description of what it was or did.

i've tried ImgBurn before and didnt like it.

tried BurnAware Free and it was 'ok' but pretty bare in what it could do. almost TOO spartan

tried CDBurnerXP and the first time i started the program it gave an error and crashed. promptly uninstalled it

tried roxio and.. too bloaty

basically i havent found anything better then nero lite that i use

RickSteele

Post by RickSteele » Fri May 22, 2009 5:41 am

@ccl0
You only have to uncheck the boxes during installation and none of that will install; just the program. That must be their way of offering it as freeware-to bundle other apps the same way ccleaner does, but, similar to ccleaner it offers you a clear choice of whether or not to install the "extras". Uninstall everything, then try the installation again. This time just say no to all but the program itself.
@code65536
ImgBurn is legendary, no doubt, I was never able to get it to perform as a total burning solution, but, that was a long time ago, so, will definitely re-check it out-perhaps even read the help files! LOL

ccl0

Post by ccl0 » Fri May 22, 2009 12:20 pm

sure i know that. too bad they have -zero- description of what they do. there was a conspicuous 'starmedia' option or whatever it was called. but nobody would know what that does until ~afer~ it was installed. yes. checkboxes. but what good are they if they dont clearly tell people WHAT those 'extras' do

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Fri May 22, 2009 1:06 pm

GUI preference is very personal...... If the underlying software is 'good enough', whatever window dressing a GUI provides is unimportant as long as the GUI fully represents the cpabilities of the underlying software.

ccl0

Post by ccl0 » Fri May 22, 2009 2:17 pm

gui has some relevance. some people like 'ease of use' etc. for example, parents. some people dont have a high level of technical know-how. i keep looking for freeware media burner that i can recommend to people thats easy to use. BurnAware comes the closest. its simple alright, but almost TOO simple lol

RickSteele

Post by RickSteele » Sat May 23, 2009 3:47 pm

I can see no way to erase rewriteables with ImgBurn; is this the case or have I overlooked something?

redxii

Post by redxii » Sat May 23, 2009 5:06 pm

On the first page you have to select an action. Tools -> Drive -> Erase Disc -> Quick or Full

RickSteele

Post by RickSteele » Sat May 23, 2009 5:32 pm

Thanks redxii; I guess it didn't jump up and bite me LOL. After reading code's reply I decided to give it a try again-the app has changed considerably since I last tried it.

XIII

Post by XIII » Fri May 29, 2009 4:25 am

For those interested: you can get the paid version for free today (29-May-2009 only), since it is Giveaway of the day:

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/starburn-v12/
We are one, but we are not the same... Talk to each other!