free 25gb of cloud storage courtesy of amazon

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
ccl0

free 25gb of cloud storage courtesy of amazon

Post by ccl0 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:58 pm

i saw this posted in another forum, maybe someone could have a use for it

Amazon is offering free cloud storage of 25gb.

They are also offering a free email account with 10gb of storage, which is separate from the cloud storage space.

Ghost Virtual Machine [g.ho.st] gives 15gigs of Amazon.com data storage and right now if you use the promotion code of "launch" you get 10Gigs more as a bonus for 25Gigs

To use the promotion code, you have to log in.
after you've signed up, and clicked on the link in the confirmation message it asks for things like your name, then asks for the code

Seems to not work with linux and firefox, but works great on
windows with firefox and internet explorer.

i'm not exactly sure how they are affiliated with amazon, but this is the website to sign up http://g.ho.st/

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:44 pm

enjoy leaving the security of your data to the cloud.................

1Tb drives are currently $80- each at MicroCenter.

ccl0

Post by ccl0 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:00 pm

nobody said it had to be important data :P

code65536

Post by code65536 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:18 pm

newsposter wrote:enjoy leaving the security of your data to the cloud.................
enjoy leaving the security of your data to a hard disk

How does that old joke go? There are only two types of hard drives: failed and failing. ;)

But aside from HDDs that can go bad, there can be other physical disasters, like fires, tornadoes, etc., that can destroy your data. So my personal preference for important data is to keep a copy locally, but also keep a second copy as a backup in the "cloud".

And if you're concerned about security in the privacy sense, you can just stash your stuff in a TrueCrypt image and store that in the cloud instead.

(BTW, I grabbed a 1TB HDD for $70, no tax, free shipping, from Newegg a month or so ago... ;))
My addons: CmdOpen - HashCheck - Notepad2 - MS Runtimes - DirectX

Into the breach, meatbags!

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:41 am

every storage volume I have at home is on mirrored drives. Backups go off site to the office safe weekly.

Raid 5/6/10/etc at home is for users who haven't tried recovery options.

ccl0

Post by ccl0 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:13 am

for clarification, this offer is NOT being made by Amazon in any way.

this is a third party company offering a service which uses Amazon's AWS/S3 service http://aws.amazon.com/s3/

eksasol

Post by eksasol » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:59 am

I only get 15gb, but another 5gb for referring. I don't like how it can only upload one file at a time and no resuming, but the email doesn't have spams at all which I really like.

pasito

Post by pasito » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:35 am

from http:// cdn.g.ho.st/TermsOfService.jsp

<<Ghost provides its Services "as-is" and "as-available" and makes no warranty whatsoever as to the quality, availability or continuity of service.

Ghost may, amongst its other rights, and without prior notice:

* Change or discontinue a Service. Take down its site temporarily or permanently. Discard or archive data. Disable a user account.
>>

fyi - http:// cdn.g.ho.st/PrivacyPolicy.jsp
[Ctrl][Shift] go outside

Passion

Post by Passion » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:50 am

code65536 wrote:But aside from HDDs that can go bad, there can be other physical disasters, like fires, tornadoes, etc., that can destroy your data. So my personal preference for important data is to keep a copy locally, but also keep a second copy as a backup in the "cloud".
Problem is that it takes ages to upload your TrueCrypt volume, and opening the remotely stored volume is not a feasable option yet, so each time something changes in your local HD, you'll be forced to upload the entire drive again.

Safest solution right now i.m.o. is to have two good SSDs, one to take with you at all times, and one at home. Put all your profiles and email and such on a TrueCrypt volume on these SSDs and you're fine.