Adobe Customization Wizard X

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
cybpsych

Post by cybpsych » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:59 pm

http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/a ... _en_US.exe
Adobe Customization Wizard X is a free downloadable utility designed to help IT professionals take greater control of enterprise-wide deployments of Adobe® Acrobat® X and Adobe Reader® X. With it you can customize the Acrobat installer and application features prior to deployment. Providing a graphical interface to the Windows Installer for Acrobat, the Customization Wizard enables IT administrators to:

Modify the installer via a transform file (MST file) without altering the original package (MSI file)
Customize the look and feel of Acrobat or Reader before deployment to meet the unique needs of your user base

Adobe Customization Wizard X works with the Adobe Acrobat X family:

Adobe Acrobat X Pro
Adobe Acrobat X Standard
Adobe Reader X

Key features:

Optimize the behavior of the installer by including silent installation, preserialization, multilingual, and custom setup choices
Remove previous versions of Acrobat and Reader
Suppress the EULA, registration prompts, and the Getting Started window
Customize key application preferences — turn off automatic updates, add and set default job options, and customize collaboration and security settings
Remove shortcuts from the desktop and the Start menu
Edit each Adobe Acrobat application's registry and installer tables
Customize file attachment handling within PDF files, including specifying which file types you want to block
Add or edit files that will be installed, including customized JavaScript or plug-ins
Preconfigure Acrobat Connect and disable it
Preconfigure and lock Enhanced Security settings
Deploy custom Portfolio navigators
Add or remove custom redaction code sets
And much more!

Key benefits:

Save time and reduce the amount of editing needed to customize the Installer
Take advantage of a more intuitive user interface to customize the Installer
Manage and control the enterprise environment
Last edited by cybpsych on Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:58 pm

Nice find, looks like a useful tool

OnePiece Alb

Post by OnePiece Alb » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:40 pm

and a great tool, I had seen months ago, and I wanted to write a guide to ITA about it, but since then I found the time, it seems the best way to make adobe addon

http://blog.stealthpuppy.com/deployment ... -reader-x/

Ciao a tutti.

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:52 pm

OMG onepiece that is a great tutorial

dumpydooby

Post by dumpydooby » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:04 pm

This is the script I use to build AdobeReader as updates come out. It simply extracts the installer, runs update patches (MSP files) if any are present, applies a transform (MST file), and then runs an administrative install.

Code: Select all

@echo off
If [%1]==[] Echo send the EXE as an argument &pause>nul&&exit
Call :TRANSFORMDBSCRIPT
echo extracting EXE file
7za x "%~1" -o"%~dp0%~n1"
If ErrorLevel 1 "%~1" /s -nos_ne -nos_o"%~dp0%~n1"
If Exist "%~dp1*.msp" (
	echo creating administrative install point
	msiexec /a "%~dp0%~n1\AcroRead.msi" TARGETDIR="%~dp0AcroRead\" /qb!
	echo applying patches
	For %%A In ("%~dp1*.msp") Do msiexec /p "%%~dpnxA" /a "%~dp0AcroRead\AcroRead.msi" /qb
	Rd /Q /S "%~dp0%~n1"
	Ren "%~dp0AcroRead" "%~n1"
)
echo applying transform
cscript //NoLogo //E:VBScript transform-msi.vbs "%~dp0%~n1\AcroRead.msi" "%~dp0AcroRead.mst"
echo copying required files...
Copy /Y /V "%~dp0StripMyRights.*" "%~dp0%~n1\" >nul
echo creating administrative install point
msiexec /a "%~dp0%~n1\AcroRead.msi" TARGETDIR="%~dp0AcroRead\" /qb!
echo deleting files....
rd /S /Q "%~dp0%~n1"
Del transform-msi.vbs
echo done.
pause>nul
Goto :EOF

:TRANSFORMDBSCRIPT
ECHO>transform-msi.vbs Set Inst = WScript.CreateObject^("WindowsInstaller.Installer"^)
ECHO>>transform-msi.vbs Set db = Inst.OpenDatabase^(WScript.Arguments^(0^), 1^)
ECHO>>transform-msi.vbs db.ApplyTransform WScript.Arguments^(1^), 0
ECHO>>transform-msi.vbs db.Commit
GOTO :EOF

Just make that into a batch file, and then drag the adobe reader install EXE onto it, and the script handles the rest.

The script wants the MST to be in the same directory as the EXE that gets dragged onto it. It also wants any MSPs (update packages) to be in that directory as well. The copying of StripMyRights is done because I use it, but if you don't, then you should remove that line.

I've been using this script since 9.x days. I only had to change the extraction process slightly for 10.x but everything else is the same. I can upload my MST as well if anyone is interested. The MST that I use more or less stays true to the settings that RogueSpear implemented in his releases.

dumpydooby

Post by dumpydooby » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:11 pm

OnePiece Alb wrote:and a great tool, I had seen months ago, and I wanted to write a guide to ITA about it, but since then I found the time, it seems the best way to make adobe addon

http://blog.stealthpuppy.com/deployment ... -reader-x/

Ciao a tutti.
Yeah, the Customization Wizard works really well for creating our deployable installs because the MST files that it produces seem to transcend all non-major version updates, which is not something that's as easily achieved with InstallShield's MST files.

shiner

Post by shiner » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:24 pm

Yes, this is quite a nice tool from Adobe.
JRE and a few other primary apps could use something like this.
"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink."

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:13 am

Yes Please, dumpydooby. I would appreciate seeing your MST if you're willing to share. So you used Adobe's Customization Wizard to make it? Thanks in advance.

Cheers and Regards

vmanda

Post by vmanda » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:05 am

@dumpydooby
Mine's sfx/addon maker, apply/inject the mst before the administrative deploy.This way unneeded/removed
componnents/files are not present into deploy folder, resulting a little sfx/addon.
@ Maker users, to test this, put yours (Adobe Custimizations made MST) into Binary folder, as AcroRead.mst.
Also you can game a little with sfx config file, Binary\AcroRead.txt and for another languages,
change Maker_AcroReader_X.cmd to follow the name of yours msi.
Unfortunately, mst made for one localized msi, for ex. english:AdbeRdr1000_en_US.msi,
cannot be used with another, for example romanian:AdbeRdr1000_ro_Ro.msi
Other informations about this subject can be finded here. Windows Locale Codes can be finded here.
Some informations about unistalling previous installled versions can be finded here. (down in page)

EDIT: my mistake , not readed carefully dumpydooby code. Allready made this way.
Last edited by vmanda on Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

dumpydooby

Post by dumpydooby » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:03 am

vmanda wrote:Mine's sfx/addon maker, apply/inject the mst before the administrative deploy.
the script i posted above does the same thing.

vmanda

Post by vmanda » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:08 am

Command script to detect and execute UninstallString for any (even localized) version of adobe reader:
reader_uninstall.cmd wrote:Set Adobe_UninstallString=
For /F "Tokens=*" %%I In ('Reg Query HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall^|Findstr /I /C:"{AC76BA86-7AD7-"') Do (
For /F "Tokens=2*" %%J In ('Reg Query "%%I" /V UninstallString') Do Set Adobe_UninstallString=%%K
)
If Not Defined Adobe_UninstallString (
Echo.Adobe Reader is not installed
) Else (
%Adobe_UninstallString% REBOOT=SUPPRESS /qb!
)
Maybe command script lovers (e.g. dumpydooby, bphlpt) can refine it with more options/conditions. Source of inspiration are here.
Note_1: qb! can be changed to qn.
Note_2: i think that this code can be easily adapted to many other (even non msi) installed applications, not only adobe reader,
by using the pairs like "{AC76BA86-7AD7-" and "UninstallString" to detect the right uninstall string.
So, to uninstall Winamp, the code look like following tested cmd:
Winamp_Uninstall.cmd wrote:Set Winamp_UninstallString=
For /F "Tokens=*" %%I In ('Reg Query HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall^|Findstr /I /C:"Winamp"') Do (
For /F "Tokens=2*" %%J In ('Reg Query "%%I" /V UninstallString') Do Set Winamp_UninstallString=%%K
)
If Not Defined Winamp_UninstallString (
Echo.Winamp is not installed
) Else (
%Winamp_UninstallString% /S
Q.E.D (quod erat demonstrandum)