Which forum software is best.

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.

Which (Free) Forum software is best

Simple Machine Forum (SMF)
30%
PHPBB
50%
MyBB
20%
PunBB
No votes
FluxBB
No votes

Total votes: 10

ahmerkhan

Which forum software is best.

Post by ahmerkhan » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:04 pm

Hello guys.

I am a fan of Vbulletin but please don't discuss Vbulletin and IP.Board (I can't afford them) :)

I know this question has been asked many times on internet but I think this place (RyanVm) is ideal because most people here talks technically.

I am looking for a forum script with some considerations.

1) Full featured
2) Light weight, less cpu usage.
3) Easy SEO
4) Security (difficult to hack)
5) better templates
6) easy Mods and Plugins installation.
7) Better Admin CP.

dumpydooby

Post by dumpydooby » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:27 am

MyBB essentially uses the ACP from VB, so if #7 is a big deal to you, then it would be the way to go. PhpBB has improved over the years but it's still dull, imo. As for which of the two conforms best to your list, that depends entirely on what sort of modifications you intend to add. MyBB is going to come out of the box with more features and a better looking template. PhpBB is very XML-centric, which is useful for creating views that are standards compliant and appeal to SEO. I would expect that PhpBB also scales better, but it's likely that neither of them are ideal large scale platforms. At any rate, if you're a noob and want a better out-of-box solution, then MyBB has a definite edge, and that's the route I'd take.

The others aren't even worth discussing as complete forum solutions. They're decent bare-bones solutions, like if you intend to hack the shit out of them.

ccl0

Post by ccl0 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:59 pm

i personally hate vbulletin, maybe not for serious reason, except i hate the look of forums that use it. they all look so generic and ugly :(

ahmerkhan

Post by ahmerkhan » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:39 pm

ccl0 wrote:i personally hate vbulletin, maybe not for serious reason, except i hate the look of forums that use it. they all look so generic and ugly :(
Sounds like you came from another Planet. :lol:
Anyway its your personal choice. The major drawback of Vbulletin is Heavy Server Load as compared to some light forums.

ahmerkhan

Post by ahmerkhan » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:40 pm

Ok, After reading dumpydooby and some reaserch on internet I choosed myBB forum.
I am really glad to use myBB, It is complete free replacement of Vbulletin.
mybb is very light ajax based forum script and it has better SEO Mods available than other forums. After some modifications my site now comes in google 1st page :)

Thanks to dumpydooby.

Have a look at it please. :)
www.itdost.com

dumpydooby

Post by dumpydooby » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:51 pm

Hey the forum looks nice man. Good work.

ahmerkhan

Post by ahmerkhan » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:12 pm

dumpydooby wrote:Hey the forum looks nice man. Good work.
Thanks man, Your advise was precious for me. :D
One morething I would like to share about mybb is that their support is also verygood.

Now I bet anyone who say Phpbb or SMF are better than mybb :wink: