Dealing with corrupted files

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.

Would such a utility come to be of any use?

yes: Absolutely
60%
No: If it will be a Waste of time creating..
20%
maybe: Not sure
20%

Total votes: 5

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:31 pm

for a long time I've been scouting out for a tool that could conveniently help test executable's as an *.exe & work a test for more of other known file types at looking for corruptions in: picture files,: video files: (types) documents,: archived files, any .etc
in practice such a tool would seemingly need to run\open\execute a file and report back as: what file where successfully opened or what files where failing to open.

I suppose that unlike archived files that are simpler to run a test for corruptions on (from available command line tools)
That there is no real tool\way today script-wise that can find & report what files gone bad for some certain file types, as perhaps as in picture file & even on simple text files where the text will appear as gibberish. or on pictures that will show-up as distorted... so, I'm still only seeking to know for 1:if there is a possible routine to find out (script-wise) ...
if someone can point-on ways & help on with suggestions.., maybe for a start even come-up with some first hand scripts that can do it for *x file types\any! ...

What will eventually give options to rapidly go over the results, moving good files or otherwise the option of rapidly pointing out all found: "badly executed" which will allow fast reviewing …etc

with this I'm not referring to any recovery tools for files (available) .. due to failing\bad hard-drives or other problematic state a drive was\is on.

This should be something that will quickly & strictly help reporting & pointing out *bad files* on a *healthy* drive

readers who understood where I'm heading to, with this, will know that:

* on hard-drive-fails- it gets to be a tedious job; hand picking the good files from the corrupted ones not to mention the boredom and time coast..

* On another occasion of "worst case scenarios" files can get corrupted again – so even after using a rescue tool \ trying to gain back files, some files gained, may be corrupted..
weeding out the bad files will take precious time again :(

* users on the technical side know exactly how could this serve them nicely. on the other case not sure how? or how well would users with development skills are\be able to measure on with some of the rising issues & parts of routines\practices\tackling the right tests for each of *x file types ...

in hopes that something\someday stems out of this post.

code65536

Post by code65536 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:06 am

Take periodic md5 snapshots of your data and windiff them? It's how I've detected one memory corruption issue and one hard drive corruption issue.
My addons: CmdOpen - HashCheck - Notepad2 - MS Runtimes - DirectX

Into the breach, meatbags!

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:57 am

md5 snapshots would have saved me a lot if there where at hand (sanest way for checking disk drive periodically)

now, I got plenty of text files with *.txt *.cmd *.bat containing gibberish notes that need to be wed out . I welcome ideas for identifying those ..