Mediafire login problem [resolved]

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
shiner

Mediafire login problem [resolved]

Post by shiner » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:35 am

I have been quite happy using mediafire, both for downloading and uploading files, until today. Unfortunately, their new web UI is giving me trouble. I cannot login to my account. (Everything was working fine yesterday, today after more than a dozen attempts I am stuck.)
So, if anyone has any suggestions how I can login to an existing account?
If worst comes to worst and I cannot solve this, does anyone have suggestions for an alternative site? I am not partial to RS.

Description of problem:
I click to open the login window, I enter my email and password and click the Login button, after the spinning thing, it sends me back to the main page.
Last edited by shiner on Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink."

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:39 am

Sorry shiner, but I can't duplicate your issue.

I also very much dislike the new UI, (Why "fix: something that isn't broken?), but it does work for me.

Out of the dozens of services available, alternatives I would suggest are:

megaupload.com
ifile.it
2shared.com
load.to
mirrorcreator.com - This seems to be a GREAT multiupload service - Onepiece has used this before

fileserve.com
filesonic.com
wupload.com

The last three, while very popular these days, have more limited speeds for non-premium account holders.

Cheers and Regards

vmanda

Post by vmanda » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:15 am

@bphlpt: you miss http://www.4shared.com/ - 10+5 gb of free space, and using 4shared desktop app
you can easy administrate account, from yours computer.

user_hidden

Post by user_hidden » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:15 am

well i just logged into mediafire and new UI ?

anyways i had no roblem logging in but some of the download counts have
reset to 0.......

i hate when they update things that aren't broke!

shiner

Post by shiner » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:55 am

Thanks everyone.
I just tried again a few times, making changes in my flash settings but it didn't help--still cannot login.

So I sent a support ticket to mediafire staff and I hope someone there can give me a straight, clear answer.

user_hidden

Post by user_hidden » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:05 am

try and clear your cookies and try again ?

mooms

Post by mooms » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:10 pm

Tested, once logged everything works.
@shiner: do you have tested on an other browser ? The new logon page is in SSL, maybe you can investigate that.
I also feel the new UI is bad.

4shared is great for the uploader (with 4shared desktop), but you have to wait for downloading, wich is bad....

shiner

Post by shiner » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:22 pm

Well, I don't know what to think about the current mediafire.

As I said above, I opened a support ticket with mediafire and I got a very courteous reply within 24 hours. The reply stated that my problem had been addressed, resolved and that I could now upload files to mediafire. The status of the ticket was closed so I couldn't reply. No mention was made of accessing my previous account to manage files I had uploaded previously.

For the past two day since that reply, I have been trying to login to my old account but unsuccessfully. I have tried FF, Opera, and IE. I have changed every setting I can think of with cookies, flash, internet connection, DNS server, but nothing allows me login to see my previous files.

Anyway, this morning I decided to upload a file after entering my login stuff.
The upload completed successfully and it appears to have created a new "unnamed" account for me. That is, I cannot see any name in the UI window. I can login repeatedly to this account, so I guess this is what I will be using from now on.

I welcome any opinions on this.

mooms

Post by mooms » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:13 am

Sorry to hear that shiner...online storage is not really safe...lesson acquired i guess...

Another bad thing: free accounts can't be accessed with short urls (mediafire.com/nickname) anymore...too bad !

shiner

Post by shiner » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:02 am

mooms,

It's not that great an issue as far as the big picture goes.

I have checked, and my previous releases on mediafire can still be downloaded. So, the account and files are still there. I just can't open it anymore. When I login with the same credentials I used for the old account, I get the new nameless account I mentioned above. So, I'll just continue from there I suppose, maybe at some time in the future I will be able to open the old account again.
Last edited by shiner on Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

vmanda

Post by vmanda » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:08 am

mooms wrote:Tested, once logged everything works.
@shiner: do you have tested on an other browser ? The new logon page is in SSL, maybe you can investigate that.
I also feel the new UI is bad.

4shared is great for the uploader (with 4shared desktop), but you have to wait for downloading, wich is bad....
Also 4shared have one feature that i love, updating files only, without to change the sharing link,
so you can easyly edit your posts without to worry about the changes made to links on post.
Also, there are just waiting time for downloading, not stupid captcha, like many others sharing sites ...

shiner

Post by shiner » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:35 am

vmanda,

I have recently had a 4shared account but didn't update it enough, so it expired. It's not bad, but I have always preferred the simplicity of the mediafire download page.

For me the must features for a file sharing site are:
resume a stopped or paused download, no hassle support for a download managers, no waiting, acceptable file size limitations, and Free.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:09 am

vmanda wrote:Also 4shared have one feature that i love, updating files only, without to change the sharing link,
so you can easyly edit your posts without to worry about the changes made to links on post.
MediaFire has this feature now too. I like keeping my old files available, so I don't use it.

shiner

Post by shiner » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:16 pm

Due to a number of issues, from hardware (ram), system sluggishness, and the mediafire login problem I was having--I decided to bite the bullet and do a clean install of XP on my PC. I used u-h's latest update pack with about 15 addons and everything went smooth. Setup completed, made a few checks, a few tweaks, connected to the web and lo and behold, when I logged-in with my credentials to my mediafire account, everything was there.

So, my problem appears solved, but I still don't what the exact cause of the problem was.