nLite

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
GREYFOX

nLite

Post by GREYFOX » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:05 pm

Hello.

Does anyone here know if development for nLite will commence ever again?

It has been a long time since it was updated. I do understand that it's source is closed but I am hoping that maybe someone else can continue the development for it.

user_hidden

Post by user_hidden » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:19 pm

the developer of nLite has stopped the work on the project for XP and Vista.
there will be NO updates for the utilities.
it has been quite some time that Nuhi has been absent from the community.

btw, this forum supports RVMi

GREYFOX

Post by GREYFOX » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:08 am

user_hidden wrote:the developer of nLite has stopped the work on the project for XP and Vista.
there will be NO updates for the utilities.
it has been quite some time that Nuhi has been absent from the community.

btw, this forum supports RVMi
Yeah, it is a shame that it has stopped. nLite is a great utility, especially for component removal.

He has, yeah. I read that he has possibly been hired by MS hence why from Vista onwards you have the 'Programs and Features' tool for turning off features rather than removing them.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:40 am

Yes, nuhi was hired by MS. The sad thing was that nobody could ever convince him to release the source for nLite/vLite. Oh well, I guess.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:05 pm

Scuttlebutt elsewhere says that part of Nuhis contract with MSFT required that he cease dev of nlite.

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:25 pm

Not only did he have to sign a NDA part of his sign-on contract demanded he just leave it completly. Not even post or support it.

GREYFOX

Post by GREYFOX » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:07 pm

Yeah, I did notice that he never said goodbye. He just up and left without a single word.

It really would have been beneficial if he had released the source so development could continue but if he had then possibly the next person will have the same happen to him/her too just like nuhi.

Maybe someone somewhere is building a similar app to nLite and we have to dig deep to find it? Just a thought :)

mooms

Post by mooms » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:32 am

Xp is nearly dead, but nLite is still working great for component removal/addons/automation/tweaks and services configurations. For Update pack use RVMi.

The "successor" of nLite for Win 7 is likely windows 7 toolkit:
http://www.wincert.net/forum/index.php? ... 7-toolkit/
Actively developped but it does not remove components.
Alteration of the world
Want to thank me ? If you buy something on Banggood with this link, I will earn a little %.

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:06 pm

Yes it does.....

GREYFOX

Post by GREYFOX » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:30 pm

Yes it does, mooms. The toolkit can remove components. Have a look in the screenshots.

I am not sure if anyone here knows but there is another app similar to the toolkit. It's called RT 7 Lite and is actively developed but the last update for it was back in 2010 I believe as that is what it states on the download page:
http://www.rt7lite.com/downloads.html

One issue I have with this is that when loading a build, it takes some time for it to fully extract the contents. Anywhere between 5 to 10 mins, possibly more if you are running other processes parallel to RT 7 Lite. Seeing as the build that I am using is over 2GB, I shouldn't complain really :)

Oh and by the way, the windows 7 toolkit mentioned by mooms is still in the release candidate stage so expect bugs to appear that could hinder performance.

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:59 am

I would say over a year and a half with no releases and no news (rt7lite) that is is most definatly NOT being activatly developed.

GREYFOX

Post by GREYFOX » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:26 am

Maybe or maybe not. We will wait and see.

mooms

Post by mooms » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:17 am

doesn't know win7T can do removal. Good to know.
I second kels, RT7lite is definitely NOT actively developped, maybe even abandoned imo !

GREYFOX

Post by GREYFOX » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:34 am

W7T does do removal. The screenshots prove it.

RT 7 Lite could very well be abandoned since the last update was in 2010.

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:11 pm

RT 7 Lite was good in it's day, and is still being used. People WANT it to be good, but after so long without updates it has become buggy and is no longer recommended. DO NOT USE IT! If you do and have errors of any kind, the developers are not posting and will not help you. Other users might try, but they're probably having the same problems you are. They can't fix it either since the source is closed. Do not post here asking for help. With as much interest as it has and has had, for the developers to not continue the work should tell you something.

W7T, however, is VERY actively being worked on and improved. Don't be concerned by the release candidate status. Even when it was in Beta stage it was very stable with just an occasional glitch, it was just constantly being added to. As Kel has said, would you rather have a final version, like nLite, vLite, or RT 7 Lite, where no more work is being done and has become buggy, or an active product that has been known to have multiple updates in a day if a problem is found? Both the developer and the users post frequently and help out anyone with problems. You can make a request for an enhancement or a change in any feature and it will be responded to and implemented if it makes sense. Yes it does do removals. It didn't do much at first but now it does much more and even more are planned. It is a very nice product and it's getting nicer every day.

Cheers and Regards