Welcome to Windows XP Service Pack 4

Forum to discuss Update Packs created by community members for the various Windows operating systems.
Stormit

About SP4 Install

Post by Stormit » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:04 pm

Hi All: I injected SP4-v3.1a into a Fresh XP-SP0. I added all of my drivers and unattended information. I used nLite for it all. I used my own .cmd file to create my .iso. Anyway All went great and I tested it in Virtual Box with no errors. When it was done installing I used Ricktendo's dotNetFx40_Full_XP_x86_x64_Slim-01-10-16.exe File to Finish the job it works great and fast. That was it. :)

I also uploaded this file: dotNetFx40_Full_XP_x86_x64_Slim-01-10-16.exe Thanks Rick, he keeps this updated.:wink:
Last edited by Stormit on Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

bphlpt

Re: USP4 NOPOS V2 Registry Fixes

Post by bphlpt » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:50 am

®ich wrote:Does anyone know where I can find the Registry Fixes inf/reg file(s) for the USP4 NOPOS V2 installation? harkaz has referenced this in previous postings, here and at msfn, but I can't find the fixes in the cloud folders.
Please provide a link, (for either here or MSFN), where this was mentioned so we know exactly what you think you need. There is a NOPOS exe in the legacy section of the cloud storage, is that what you were looking for? And I could be wrong, but I believe that any NOPOS material was only intended to work for v2, and is not applicable to the current v3.1a files.

Cheers and Regards

®ich

Post by ®ich » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:03 am

@bphlpt
Thanks for picking up. The easiest link I could find is here:
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/171171- ... try1116419

Edit for clarification:
I'm looking for a V2 in-service Reg Fix (if that is what Har K was inferring) for a live system.

eg: In my V2 and in V3.1a installations, there are two Registry entries which I have manually changed to default settings.

HKCR\batfile\shell\open\command
(USP4 v2 & 3+ Value Data) C:\WINXP\system32\CMD.EXE /C Call "%L" %* (Terminate Switch)
(Default Value Data) "%L" %*

HKCR\regfile\shell\open\command
(USP4 v2 & 3+ Value Data) C:\WINXP\REGEDIT.EXE /M "%L" (Multiple Instance Switch)
(Default Value Data) regedit.exe "%1"

If there are other V3.1a fixes/changes that can be applied to a V2 live system, I'd like to apply them.

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:05 am

Thanks for being specific. I don't know the answer, but with the information that you provided, perhaps harkaz or someone else will now be able to help you. Good Luck!

By the way, just curious, but is there some reason that you want to stay with v2, instead of just applying v3.1a? v3.1a can be applied to a live installation, as I'm sure you know.

Cheers and Regards

=[FEAR]=JIGSAW

Post by =[FEAR]=JIGSAW » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:36 am

harkaz wrote:@=[FEAR]=JIGSAW

I'll repeat my comment because I don't know if you've tried it.

This may be due to incompatibility with Server 2003 USB2.0 generic drivers.

1- Try some "special" usb files (version 5.3) found somewhere in POSReady 2009.
LINK: https://mega.nz/#F!QMsUDaxT!YgkMinAsaPCiUTLcQryR3Q

(Update the driver.cab file and the compressed I386 usb* files. Also add the catalog to the I386\SVCPACK folder and update the svcpack.inf [ProductCatalogsToInstall] section so that it installs the usbboot.cat during GUI-mode setup.)

2- Force installation of a Server 2k3 version of your driver, if available.
Hi, yes I did see that post, but that sounds a little advanced :)

I see there are 3x files ...
usbstor.sys ; usbhub.sys ; USBboot.cat

- So usbstor.sys & usbhub.sys I copy over to drivers.cab ??? ... I see they're not already in there so it's not anything I need to overwrite ?
- Do I copy them over before or after I import my chipset drivers? - does it matter?
- What exactly are the "compressed I386 usb* files"
- Im confused with USBboot.cat ... I don't seem to have a SVCPACK folder ??
- Im also not 100% sure how to edit svcpack.inf .. do I just open it with Notepad? ... how should the info look that I add to "[ProductCatalogsToInstall]"

Sorry for sounding like a noob, but I like to follow a recipe step by step :oops:

®ich

Post by ®ich » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:58 am

bphlpt wrote:...is there some reason that you want to stay with v2, instead of just applying v3.1a?
Good question. My simplistic human response would be: I'm comfortable with all my stuff and apps configured the way I want them on the V2 drive. (I run an old tower system with selectable sata power switches to four hard drives, with different OS installations). My new installation of V3.1a has not yet had all my toys and goodies installed. So I'm in a transition phase, if you know what I mean... Previously I ran two V2 installations, one 'dirty' (online always) and one 'clean' (mostly offline for audio visual and combat flight sim stuff).

But with all that said, I had not considered a 3.1a live install over V2 (I'd usually go for a fresh install). Your lateral thinking is changing my mind. I'll 'macrium' my 'clean' V2 and apply V3.1a over the top and see how that works out.

Thank you bphlpt, I appreciate your time.
®

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:50 am

You're welcome. In my mind, that is one of the major advantages to harkaz's approach of creating a Service Pack, which can be applied to a live system, versus an AddOn Pack, which cannot. That's one of the same reasons I prefer applications in Switchless Installer form instead of as an AddOn.

Please keep us informed how it goes.

Cheers and Regards

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:18 am

GH0st wrote:There is something wrong with PAGE 33 in this thread, almost impossible to get that page to load. One of the moderators may want to check it out. Some of the codes or links or something!
Don't know how, but Ryan fixed it.

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:04 pm

5eraph wrote:
GH0st wrote:There is something wrong with PAGE 33 in this thread, almost impossible to get that page to load. One of the moderators may want to check it out. Some of the codes or links or something!
Don't know how, but Ryan fixed it.
Kool!

Edit: Verified, page loads normally now! Thanks Ryan!!

®ich

Post by ®ich » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:01 pm

I tried installing WindowsXP-USP4-v3.1a-x86-ENU.exe on top of my NOPOS v2 OS and the installation seemed to freeze while creating a restore point. Then a Service Pack 4 Setup Error window popped up.

"Failed to install catalog files.
Windows XP has been partially updated and may not work properly."

So the v3.1a live install over NOPOS v2 was not successful. But it was certainly worth a try. I will keep this flawed config for a while if anyone wants to see a log. Then I'll restore v2 from my backup. I'd still love to know more about any registry fixes applicable to v2 though.

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:57 pm

®ich wrote:I tried installing WindowsXP-USP4-v3.1a-x86-ENU.exe on top of my NOPOS v2 OS ...

So the v3.1a live install over NOPOS v2 was not successful ...

I'd still love to know more about any registry fixes applicable to v2
The v3/3.1a has all the POS updates, if your computer is running non-POS settings, they why now try to install them through this service pack? As this service pack is really just the additions of current MS updates (POS) thru January 2016. Fixxes to issues and such. Since you don't run POS updates, then there is not much to benefit! Which is why I guess you want the registry fixes .... so what your really wanting is another SP which doesn't have the POS in them, but all the fixes alone ... this is an unreasonable request.

The uSP4 is designed so it can be added to a Live (dirty) install, but best deployed by Slipstreaming/Integrating into a newly made ISO, for the purpose of doing a fresh install. This really is the only way to get FULL BENEFIT from this SP. So do yourself the favor, and do a fresh install, with the latest Mobo bios, drivers and updates to programs, tweaked, tuned ... you will be glad you did!

cuzinbob02

Post by cuzinbob02 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:40 pm

I forgot to mention that before running nlite I updated the nlite folder with the latest 7zip files. I don't remember where I saw to do this. I remember that it seemed important by person that posted to do so. Sorry, but just thought I'd share now.

cuzinbob02

Post by cuzinbob02 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:57 pm

I found the post by OnePiece Alb made on 27-10-15 in the XPSP3 update pack discussion. It was also advised to update RVMi as well with the newer 7zip exe and 7zip dll

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:39 am

@®ich Fix: http://www.rarst.net/software/failed-in ... log-files/

NOTE: ALL SP3 installer-related KB Articles apply to SP4 as well.

About the .reg fix I'll prepare it when I have some time.

The same is true for the cab files that fear jigsaw needs.
Windows XP Unofficial SP4 (2014, 2016, and 2019): viewtopic.php?t=10321
Non-IT stuff:
Retinal changes in schizophrenia (2019): https://academic.oup.com/schizophreniab ... 06/5598443

tipoole

Post by tipoole » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:45 am

ram patch causing issues with creative xfi titanium pcie drivers here (daniel k drivers not official creative ones since those are even worse).gonna go w/o ram patch

®ich

Post by ®ich » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:06 pm

harkaz wrote:Fix: http://www.rarst.net/software/failed-in ... log-files/
NOTE: ALL SP3 installer-related KB Articles apply to SP4 as well.
About the .reg fix I'll prepare it when I have some time.
Thank you harkaz. :wink: ®

Edit:Modified process from the link harkaz kindly provided
NB: FileASSASSIN not required

From an Admin account (Take the PC offline):
1. Stop your antivirus protection(s).
2. run services.msc and stop the Automatic Updates (wuauserv) Service (This service prevents deletion of CatRoot2 folder/contents).

Then do the processes in the rarst.net link.
Last edited by ®ich on Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dibya

Post by Dibya » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:30 am

tipoole wrote:ram patch causing issues with creative xfi titanium pcie drivers here (daniel k drivers not official creative ones since those are even worse).gonna go w/o ram patch
Try this driver :: http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/SOUND- ... k-20.shtml

tipoole

Post by tipoole » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:03 am

we're not on the same page here.I installed (at least tried) version 3.7 of that driver.Or am I getting ahead of myself and you are specifically telling me to install version 2.0?

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:48 pm

Wow, was wondering why we had such an increase in traffic on Torrenting ... seems uSP4 is posted on Majorgeeks

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details ... icial.html

didn't quite get the name right ...

SP4 Unofficial

uSP4 = unoffical Service Pack 4 ... don't know, kind of think it looks better with the little "u" up front, like uBlock, uTorrent, ect

uSP4-v3.1a

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:31 pm

I agree with you about liking the "u" in front, either small (uSP4) or big (USP4), but I guess they got the name from the first line in the first post of this very thread:

"Windows XP SP4 Unofficial Final Version 3.1a is now available!"

In any case, it's good that harkaz and RyanVM are both getting more attention.

By the way, not only is Dibya looking at creating updates for SP4, and maybe extensions as well, but Opticork is looking at creating a version of KernelEx to further extend XP's capabilities. Both of these projects have harkaz's approval. Pleases give both of these guys your support, and interact with them often to offer suggestions of what to include in their projects and provide testing services.

Cheers and Regards

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:56 pm

That could be interesting ....

Now I got to find my password, from many years ago ...

wk357mag - Member Since 08 Aug 2004

GH0st = wk357mag

EDIT: Named Changed to GH0st
Last edited by GH0st on Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:03 pm

Glad to see you joined the conversation. If you'd like, for consistency, you can have your username at MSFN changed to GH0st here - http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/71610-y ... -username/. Otherwise, we'll just have to try and remember. :)

Cheers and Regards

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:27 pm

bphlpt wrote:Glad to see you joined the conversation. If you'd like, for consistency, you can have your username at MSFN changed to GH0st here - http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/71610-y ... -username/. Otherwise, we'll just have to try and remember. :)

Cheers and Regards
Thanks, I just did, but I guess I should try and find my other pass word, to other account ... as that account shows like 18 posts, so got to be another account ... Will look more later

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:37 am

1600 downloads in one day!

tipoole

Post by tipoole » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:41 am

anyone had any luck with the 4gb patch?

Dibya

Post by Dibya » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:10 am

I have luck with 4gig patch

Dibya

Post by Dibya » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:27 am

What will happen after 2019 with xp?
Does MrGates will be interested in making new nt 5.2 os after 2019 like posready2009?
Major user like todays use win xp, does same will happen in 2019?

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:11 am

All indications, especially considering their past actions with previous OS, is that all versions of XP will be completely abandoned by MS, with the possible exception of a very few enterprise customers who are willing to pay exorbitant fees. Users will continue to use XP anyway, just as there remains a small loyal following for Win2k and even Win9x. Mr Gates is no longer directly involved with the running of MS and won't be unless he is brought back like Steve Jobs was at Apple, and there is no current indication that that is likely. At least that's the way I see it.

Cheers and Regards

cuzinbob02

Post by cuzinbob02 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:24 am

I concur and well stated. Forgive me please for going completely off subject here, but on majorgeeks is a very good wallpaper pack.

Dibya

Post by Dibya » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:03 am

@bphlpt
I think if Mr.Gates comeback , may be he will make something like Windows eXPeriance 2nd Edition. Personally I am not a fan of nt6.x series.I think they should make a os that can run on 64mb ram , 300mhz processor et when it will be install on 8gb ram , 2000gbps nvme ssd , 6.0ghz 32 core(may be possible in future) . how fast the pc can be ?May be like japans bullet train

tipoole

Post by tipoole » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:19 am

here is the last_session.ini with what is safe to remove(also contains what folders are safe to remove).taken from a 681 MB iso.drivers section cannot be touched.havent had time to compare this version with the untouched one suggested by ghost in terms of which one is faster so any feedback is much appreciated.4gb patch didnt work for my specific hardware,but maybe someone else will get lucky.as im writing this im updating windows in virtualbox.enjoy https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3FK_h ... FqRzg/view

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:22 pm

Alternative of 4GB PATCH for =[FEAR]=JIGSAW:
https://mega.nz/#!4FNVERjZ!-_z0J3r7yOAH ... RPPQiNf7qY

Copy-paste it instead of the original 4GB Patch just after slipstreaming SP4.

The v3regfix.inf file in the LEGACY GDrive subfolder brings v3 fixes to v2 users. Just right-click on it and click install.

mockingbird

Post by mockingbird » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:34 pm

Excellent!

I've been waiting for this for a while.

Does anyone know if the resulting ISO from an SP0 to SP4 slipstream will fit on a 700MB CD?

Also, can I slipstream the old-fashioned way with the comandline, or is nLite an absolute necessity? Can RVMi do it?

Finally, does a repair install from a slipstreamed CD correctly insert the relevant registry entries?

Thanks and good work Harkaz.

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:44 am

mockingbird wrote:Does anyone know if the resulting ISO from an SP0 to SP4 slipstream will fit on a 700MB CD?

Also, can I slipstream the old-fashioned way with the comandline, or is nLite an absolute necessity? Can RVMi do it?
If I remember correctly, I think my ISO have all been well over 900mb, actaully 996mb was my last ... I think! Don't let this size scare you cause if your mobo will allow you to boot from a USB thumb drive, then you can use RUFUS to make your thumb drive bootable and install the ISO to it. Its REAL EASY!!!!!!!!

You can Slipstream/Integrate the old fashion way, but, using the RVM or nLite tool can do this too. It is just a GUI (Graphic User Interface) for the same process. Allows you to point/click rather then typing it into a CMD Prompt. Its the same thing! If you want to keep it simple, the nLite's options to slipstream and then make ISO. Then RUFUS to put ISO on the thumb drive.

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:08 am

mockingbird wrote:Also, can I slipstream the old-fashioned way with the comandline, or is nLite an absolute necessity? Can RVMi do it?
All three methods should work.

You have been the one that has called our attention to the repair issue in the past, so if you have a chance to test it before harkaz can respond, please let us know if this method finally works correctly for you.

I have seen where someone has been able to get it to fit on a CD after removing things with nLite, but I THINK it is too big otherwise. It will fit on a DVD, or a thumb drive as GH0st suggests.

Cheers and Regards

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:58 am

Don't forget that SP4 is designed for splitting into 2 CD-ROMs. This may be really useful for older hardware.

Yes, Upgrade installs should install all necessary registry keys properly.
Windows XP Unofficial SP4 (2014, 2016, and 2019): viewtopic.php?t=10321
Non-IT stuff:
Retinal changes in schizophrenia (2019): https://academic.oup.com/schizophreniab ... 06/5598443

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:52 am

harkaz wrote:Yes, Upgrade installs should install all necessary registry keys properly.

He actually isn't asking about an upgrade install, but doing a Repair as a way to accomplish the upgrade, if I understand him correctly. The way I always understood it, the Repair option was intended to put the OS files back to the stage they were when they originally installed, using the same OS install source that was originally used. So I can't confirm that upgrading via Repair ever completely worked, but that's the way he says he always did it with official MS releases.

The difference, as I understand it, between upgrading and repairing, is that upgrading copies the current folders over to Windows.old folders and creates new Windows folders for the new install, while repairing copies the files into the existing locations. When you upgrade you usually end up having to redo shortcuts, file and program associations, and some application installs, which I'm sure is why he wants to avoid that.

Of course I could have completely misunderstood all of the above. :)

Cheers and Regards

mockingbird

Post by mockingbird » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:58 pm

Thanks for all the responses...

What do you mean when you say it is "meant for two CDs"? There's an option to split a slipstreamed SP4 disc to two discs? That would be good actually.

Maybe I just ought to use plain vanilla SP3 CDs for repairs to avoid that problem, and then run the SP4 update, seeing as how complete it is thanks to this latest release.

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:15 am

mockingbird wrote:Maybe I just ought to use plain vanilla SP3 CDs for repairs to avoid that problem
Whats with all the repair work? Do you often need to repair? I have only twice in life used a repair option

=[FEAR]=JIGSAW

Post by =[FEAR]=JIGSAW » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:26 am

harkaz wrote:Alternative of 4GB PATCH for =[FEAR]=JIGSAW:

Copy-paste it instead of the original 4GB Patch just after slipstreaming SP4.

The v3regfix.inf file in the LEGACY GDrive subfolder brings v3 fixes to v2 users. Just right-click on it and click install.
Thanks, Will give this a test as soon as I can make some time :)

Edit:
harkaz wrote:Copy-paste it instead of the original 4GB Patch just after slipstreaming SP4.
Can I then still integrate the driverspack for chipset/mass-storage etc. afterwards??? ... the driverspack will not overwrite any of the patch files is basically what I'm asking? :)

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:53 am

GH0st wrote:
mockingbird wrote:Maybe I just ought to use plain vanilla SP3 CDs for repairs to avoid that problem
Whats with all the repair work? Do you often need to repair? I have only twice in life used a repair option
GH0st, imagine you have an installation that is working great for you. You have umpteen applications installed, it's tweaked to the nines, you have setup special shortcuts, file associations, etc, additional fonts, wallpapers, etc, etc. And you have two options:

1) Do a clean install, or an upgrade install, and then you have to setup all of your applications and special relationships all over again.

2) Do a repair install and everything stays set up just like you had it.

If they both worked eually well, which way sounds quicker and entails less work on your part?

Yes I know that (1) is cleaner and more reliable. I also know that right now there is a third option of just doing a live install of SP4 since it is current. But as time goes on, and harkaz does not update SP4, then there could accumulate more and more updates, perhaps in addons that Dibya might create. Those addons probably won't be able to be installed on a live system, so you'll have to either start from scratch and add the updates one at a time or come up a way to integrate them into your source and apply some kind of repair to install them.

You know, the more I try to justify it to you, the more I staart to agree that it doesn't really make as much sense as I was thinking it did. :) It will probably be quicker to just install the extra new updates individually rather than try to create an updated source, unless he was maintaining a large number of machines.

What the situation could be is that mockingbird might be an old timer, like me. Back in the day, running a repair on Win9x was an accepted way of refreshing things while keeping everything setup as I explained above. I don't know if the same benefits apply to XP. I guess we'll have to wait until he explains what he is trying to accomplish, harkaz chimes in as to whether it will work or not, or mockingbird trys it and lets us know if it works for him or not.

Anyway, that's how I see it, until someone explains things in more detail.

Cheers and Regards

tipoole

Post by tipoole » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:19 am

harkaz wrote:Alternative of 4GB PATCH for =[FEAR]=JIGSAW:
mega not working

=[FEAR]=JIGSAW

Post by =[FEAR]=JIGSAW » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:47 am

^ Works perfectly fine on my side ;)

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:28 am

bphlpt wrote:GH0st, imagine you have an installation that is working great for you. You have umpteen applications installed, it's tweaked to the nines, you have setup special shortcuts, file associations, etc, additional fonts, wallpapers, etc, etc. And you have two options ........ Cheers and Regards
Gotcha!

Stormit

Post by Stormit » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:57 pm

Hi All:I also uploaded this file: 4GB_PATCH_ALTERNATIVE.rar if anybody needs it.:wink:

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:09 am

It works for upgrade and repair installs.
Repair installs may break if VS2010 is installed and this has nothing to do with SP4 compilation but with the setup files themselves.

@fear jigsaw Try with and without the driverpack and tell me what happens.
Last edited by harkaz on Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:24 pm

harkaz wrote:Now I'm looking forward to the KernelEx release. It should complement what SP4 does.
Some users may be willing to extend SP4 with Kernelex even further, ie. include all the latest Windows components, like RDC 8.x, .NET 4.6, IE11, DX11, thus creating USP5.
Does sound interesting!

Dibya

Post by Dibya » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:28 am

thats great harkaz. I think xp will rock forever.

Dibya

Post by Dibya » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:32 pm

Post Sp4 update pack is comming.

Anthony21

Post by Anthony21 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:16 am

ugh, where do i start? LOL dang email didn't notify me that this post is still being active.,

Great Wonderful Work Harkaz!

So we finally manage to brake through that 4GB limited I see.

(ugh the simi 2 hrs reading fast from around pg35)

Can't wait to test this out on my crappy Dell and my kickass pc with ssd. only if i can get achi to work this time around.

You really inspired us Harkaz. and the support by us, applause to all of us making this happen and the continue support since the beginning of this project.

time to sleep, ZZZzzzzzzz.....