Originally by YumeYao.
For Windows XP, Last Updated 2018/06/13 by 5eraph.
- This addon will replace Internet Explorer 6 on your Windows XP installation CD with Internet Explorer 8 along with its latest updates.
- Intended for Windows XP 32-bit only. Windows 2003 support has been dropped since version 1.4.12.
- A syssetup.dll-patch-free method to avoid errors in setuperr.log that does not increase your install CD size. (NoSetupErr style only)
This method is even better compared to MrNxDmX(NR)'s:
- File replacements are finished at T-13 (NR's are not until OOBE), so any svcpack.inf execution that relies on IE (for example: WPI) works.
- Doesn't use the unique registry for delayed boot-stage file replacing so the key can be used by other addons/nLite.
- Doesn't require extra disk space.
- Fixed some errors created by Microsoft (wbem path and some reg entries). Cleared some garbage left by Microsoft (infobar sounds).
- Extremely easy for translators to build localized versions. The guide is here.
- Addon structure: File copy and registry handling are system-like.
- Internet Explorer 8 8.0.6001.18702
- Hotfixes and Updates:
- YumeYao, for originally releasing this addon and writing this post which 5eraph blatantly copypasta'd.
- MrNxDmX, for his thought of making the addon free from setuperr.log complaining.
- nonno fabio and OnePiece Alb, again, for their invention to copy files like system components act.
- ricktendo64, Outbreaker and adric; for maintaining this addon long after it was first abandoned.
- On XP with SP2 or an earlier service pack level, proper update(s) that update browseui.dll, shdocvw.dll, shlwapi.dll and sqmapi.dll are required.
2 Versions are released. They can be integrated upon each other seamlessly. One is the "Clean" style with almost no differences compared to OnePiece's. The other is the "NoSetupErr" style, i.e. no setuperr.log entries. It uses 3-pass file copying so it may be a little slower than the "Clean" style. (In fact the first pass is unnecessary, but it's difficult to realize it with just an entries*.ini file.)
- Clean Style: Files are copied directly. Having setuperr.log items.
Can be used together with this fix addon + cracking syssetup.dll to avoid setuperr.log reports.
- No Setuperr Style: Tricks are made to avoid setuperr.log reporting while not harm syssetup.inf.
There may be risks corrupting you Windows Setup but the condition is very limited.