[Release] Microsoft Antispyware (testing purposes only)

Discuss & post Update Pack addons here.
Siginet
Site Admin

[Release] Microsoft Antispyware (testing purposes only)

Post by Siginet » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:34 am

OK... here's an addon that is a monster!

I actually got it to work! With the help of dglewin and Xable (Not that I needed their help! ;) lol J/K)

2789 Lines of registry keys in this one!!! I think this would be one of the most advanced addons here. (Aside from the soon to be released .net 1.1+2.0 pack soon to be released by dglewin!) ;)

This addon is not a switchless installer. It is actually integrating it the right way and saves almost 1MB on your disk.

I created my own uninstall process for it which actually uninstalls better and faster than the original uninstall method. :) (Thanks again to dglewin)

The only minor glitches would be:
1. Some files do not get deleted when uninstalled... but they don't hinder windows in any way and can be manually deleted if you want.
2. "Microsoft Antispyware" directory in the start menu is not deleted but all files within it are.
3. When you go to update to a newer version of MSASB1 it does not uninstall the old... but it overwrites this one just fine.
4. If you install another version of MSASB1 to a different directory this one is useless but it's files are left behind. (You can manually delete the files though.

All of the glitches I found don't seem to cause any issues that I know of... and are very minor things. When I get some time I will make a proper uninstall script with autoit that will make sure everything is uninstalled and deleted.

*Note* For testing purposes only.
Accessories_MicrosoftAntispyware_B1_1.0.701_Addon_v1.1.cab
MD5 Hash: 7E60398C4FE072DD9FF44AB9B07B443E
Last edited by Siginet on Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:03 pm, edited 6 times in total.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:42 am

D is really good at that kinda stuff.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:07 am

Kelsenellenelvian wrote:D is really good at that kinda stuff.
Yeah... I am patiently awaiting his new .net release. :D
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

Xable

Post by Xable » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:15 am

Ooh a challange, i`ll look into it.

dumpydooby

Post by dumpydooby » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:24 am

Kelsenellenelvian wrote:D is really good at that kinda stuff.
I'M D!!! :D

DisabledTrucker
Location: Country of Mental on the Planet Trucker in the MidnightHunter Galaxy.

Post by DisabledTrucker » Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:19 am

I think they were referring to dgelwin though... ;)
Matthew 22:36-40

I have some gmail invites left, if you'd like one IM me and let me know.

[url=mms://wmc1.liquidviewer.net/WNOR]WNOR FM-99[/url] The best station in the world!

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:30 am

Why don't you just use my installer for this? It's been out for a while now and it work perfect from svcpack.inf.

Oh and it uninstalls too.

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:07 am

@siginet, what i have always done when creating an addon which requires the msi file in order to uninstall is create my own simple uninstaller, download the msn messenger addon to get a clue as to what im talking about, its very simple and i hope it can help you with your project.
Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things

Xable

Post by Xable » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:16 am

There are a few un-needed keys for example;

Code: Select all

HKCR,"Installer\Features\47C7F635B44838640B5CAE931EA9F63E",
HKCR,"Installer\Features\47C7F635B44838640B5CAE931EA9F63E","GIANT_AntiSpyware_Files",,""
only this is needed, following this will save you about 900 lines of entries in this case.

HKCR,"Installer\Features\47C7F635B44838640B5CAE931EA9F63E","GIANT_AntiSpyware_Files",,""
Also the path in the uninstall shortcut is to D:\ may cause a problem

I captured the reg again and noticed some keys missing, converted these to this. Which is a complete capture of the install, maybe you can compare the two to see what`s missing or somthing ;)

Edit,
forgot to mention, check the variables in the DestinationDirs. some files are not going anywhere fast :)

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:59 am

also if your not going to be including the msi file i higly recommend you do not include any of the installer\product reg keys, because they will cause problems when installing other programs.
Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:23 pm

@D or err... dglewin Great thanks. Now... if I get rid of the installer and use my own uninstaller... People will still be able to upgrade later right?

@X... There were a lot of keys that I deleted that were not needed... a lot of them were just like the one you posted. It was kind of difficult because there were so many reg entries. ;) Also... I doubt it there was anything pointing to D:\ ;) I do not have a D: drive in my VMWare where I tested all of this. But I did notice I had some C:\ in there ... thanks. ;) And... woops on the Downloaded variable... but I know that wasn't the cause of the prob. Because actually when I was testing I was manually copying those over.

I think basically what can be done is to follow dglewins idea and create a new uninstaller. If we accomplish that... it should work fully. :) Then we'll have a slipstream of Microsoft Antispyware. :D

This proves that if we can slipstream MSASB1... we can do it to anything! :D We are moving into the future of creating unattended installs!
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:22 pm

OK... It is not a beta addon anymore. :) It seems to fully work now.
I edited the top post to reflect this addon now. :)

Thanks for the help dglewin and Xable!
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:10 pm

Haha... sorry everybody it must have been late when I released the addon. I goofed up my variable inside the entries file. Xable found the issue. Thanks again X!

I fixed it and re-upped the cab.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

boooggy

Post by boooggy » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:49 am

got a little prob. after slipstream it with nlite and install in vm when i click on the icon in systray i got this: Image

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:33 pm

hmmm... I'll have to run some more tests on it then.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:54 pm

It looks like the same error as if you don't do that /regserver option at the end of a traditional install.

Maybe I'm not getting something here... I downloaded this and checked it out. Yea it's cool I suppose, but it's also about 1.25MB larger than my switchless silent installer.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:02 pm

If that's the case then it is probably better to use the silent install pack. But I mainly wanted to play around with making a true addon for this because it is a difficult one to make. Also true addons tend to install much faster than most silent installers. ;)

I am thinking the reason it is not registering is because it is being installed before you log in to windows. Because if I try to install the addon from within windows it works. :(

@Booggy can you open gcasDtServ.exe and then open MSAS?
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:13 pm

There's all kinds of pros and cons to various methods of doing everything in our world I have found. What I find interesting with your method is that it obviously is not reliant upon svcpack.inf, which leads me to wonder where exactly in the process it does install.

But some things to think about... I always make my switchless silent installers with a version agnostic filename so that you can very easily update an already made installtion source by simply overwriting the file. This method, while I suppose you could do the exact same thing, might present some confusion for less experienced user. The other thing is that I almost always go in favor of saving space vs. speed of install. I still run into far too many situations where a CD is required and DVD is simply not an available option. Plus the whole thing is supposed to be unattended anyway, so it's not like I'm sitting there watching it work. I usually go on to something else and come back whenever it's convenient.

I don't know if this would help things out or not, but in my installer I'm actually having config.txt call a .cmd file rather than msiexec.exe.

START /WAIT msiexec /i MicrosoftAntiSpyware.msi /qn
"%PROGRAMFILES%\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasdtserv.exe" /regserver
Perhaps the second line needs to be placed somewhere for it to work properly.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:27 pm

Yeah silent installers are great. The process of using silent installers in the integrator was never supposed to be possible. I added it in a while back because I felt it would be appriciated by the users as an easy way to make addons for certain programs. And it has been used more than we realized. :D

The integrators main purpose was to actually slipstream things into the cd which usually can save space because you do not need and of the setup files etc... just the files that are installed afterwards. Most of the time you can make a true addon smaller than a switchless installer and it usually installs faster.

If you want to test my theory on speed... extract the addon and copy the msasb1.inf and msasb1.cab to your desktop. Place the msasb1.cab in a folder named i386. Then right click on the msasb1.inf file on your desktop and choose install. (Make sure MSASB1 is not currently installed on your system before you do this.) You will notice it installs very quickly.

On some addons it is better to use a silent installer because sometimes you can compress the installer files a lot more. So in this case your silent installer is probably the better route to go. But usually the true addons are better. Maybe someday we can package the addons with 7zip instead of cabs. That may make the true addons better overall because then they would use the best of both.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

DisabledTrucker
Location: Country of Mental on the Planet Trucker in the MidnightHunter Galaxy.

Post by DisabledTrucker » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:37 pm

I've found that I can compress into .cab to smaller file sizes than I can with 7zip, but that has a lot to do with the fact I don't have but 1GB of memory in my system... It's not a big difference but sometimes that .1 - .5 kb can keep me from being able to fit a program onto my device, be it USBKey or DVD.
Matthew 22:36-40

I have some gmail invites left, if you'd like one IM me and let me know.

[url=mms://wmc1.liquidviewer.net/WNOR]WNOR FM-99[/url] The best station in the world!

john2003

Post by john2003 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:23 pm

Signet,

Possible update to Windows Defender V1.1.1051 Beta 2........Love what you did with this addon!

xpmaniac4ever

Post by xpmaniac4ever » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:35 pm

An idiot tries 2 maintain order..A genius can control chaos

john2003

Post by john2003 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:00 pm

But that's a switchless installer not slipstreamed like signets work!!!

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:06 pm

john2003 wrote:But that's a switchless installer not slipstreamed like signets work!!!
I honestly don't see what the difference is so long as the end result is a properly functioning installation.