[Trick] Create your own MegaUpdatePack...

Discuss & post Update Pack addons here.
Siginet
Site Admin

[Trick] Create your own MegaUpdatePack...

Post by Siginet » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:59 pm

I found a trick that seems to work to make it easy for users to compile all of their favorite addons and UpdatePack into one MegaUpdatePack.

It's simple... just use the integrator as you would normally use it... but make sure you crash the program after it has finished extracting all of the updatepack/addons.

Then go into your destination I386 directory and inside rvmtemp directory you will see a directory called "Extracted". Compile everything inside of the "Extracted" folder into a .cab file. Make sure you name the cab file with the word "UpdatePack" in it.

That's it. Now instead of having to highlight all of your addons everytime all you have to do is select your MegaUpdatePack. ;)

I'm not sure if this trick is allways going to work but for now you should be able to use it.

Enjoy!
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

DisabledTrucker
Location: Country of Mental on the Planet Trucker in the MidnightHunter Galaxy.

Post by DisabledTrucker » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:53 am

Sweet, never thought of this, thanks Siginet... ;)
Matthew 22:36-40

I have some gmail invites left, if you'd like one IM me and let me know.

[url=mms://wmc1.liquidviewer.net/WNOR]WNOR FM-99[/url] The best station in the world!

leelamb

Post by leelamb » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:00 pm

Am liking this idea and trying it. Hmmm..."crash the program"... any chance or making a "Pause after Integration Phase" and "Resume" button, so as to copy the rvmtemp file, then resume and not loose the rest of the installation? Or maybe a version that keeps the rvmtemp file in for manual removal?
Lee Lamb

vier

Post by vier » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:23 am

And option for create the MegaPack ?

mindwarper

Post by mindwarper » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:09 am

leelamb wrote:Am liking this idea and trying it. Hmmm..."crash the program"... any chance or making a "Pause after Integration Phase" and "Resume" button, so as to copy the rvmtemp file, then resume and not loose the rest of the installation? Or maybe a version that keeps the rvmtemp file in for manual removal?
No manual removal is not what you want, I think...
Whereas the pause/resume button is actually wonderful idea ?

Don't know if Siginet can include such functionality ;)
Just wait & see

benners

Re: [Trick] Create your own MegaUpdatePack...

Post by benners » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:55 pm

Siginet wrote:That's it. Now instead of having to highlight all of your addons everytime all you have to do is select your MegaUpdatePack. ;)
Thanks for the tip, I normally use an AutoIt script to parse the addons and updates in the a specified dir and create an ini file, then run the integrator so no highlighting, but it would be useful to have them all in one cab file.

leelamb

Post by leelamb » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:33 pm

An afterthought: "Pause" in any program usually leaves the program locked, does it not? So if "Pause" is going to make Windows deny me to copy, then "Pause" is not the answer. "Pause & unlock?" Sounds complicated.
Maybe an "RVM Integrator MINUS" version, that just does part of the work and then quits?

Dunno. Siginet's call, altgether.
Count me still interested and willing to test a beta on two computers.
Lee Lamb