Discuss & post Update Pack addons here.
Cobravox

REQUEST: Sidebar XP

Post by Cobravox » Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:38 am

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could make an addon-cab for Sidebar XP,
the beta version works stable.
You can find it on following link: /http://www.desktopsidebar.com
I would love it integrated in my new unattended cd.

Thanks in advance

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:16 am

I've been working on this one for a little while. It's a tricky install to do as a repack, but if you're happy with the default setup it's a standard .msi file.

Hopefully I can get something out this week. This has been one of my favorite programs for the last couple of years now.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:05 am

Ok, this was a pain in the balls. Well actually it's not so bad now that I have it all figured out. Consider this to be "beta" for the time being, but in my testing it works great. I added in a ton of skins, some extra slideshows, and a few plugins. If the feedback is good, I'll work on adding in more of the plugins.

Switchless Silent Installer - 6.47MB
MD5: 0E15EC03EF06DECE963CAE1AE1088416

.CAB Addon - 6.47MB
MD5: 5A3CCC48D6F77346BEF9DA26FC1FE383

FlyingGleek

Post by FlyingGleek » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:53 pm

RogueSpear, this is great! Truly appreciated thankx!

I'll be trying out the cab version tonight, will let you know.

Cheers!

FlyingGleek

Post by FlyingGleek » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:58 am

Just to let everyone know, I did try this SideBar app and although it installs just fine, there are too many bugs/crashes with this program running.

Examples are IE saying it "encountered a problem and has to close" along with Simply Accounting, Nero, and a whack of other programs. No specific error just ... it has to close. This is definitely a show stopper for me, doesn't anyone else have these problems with this software?

Cheers!

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:07 pm

I've been using Desktop Sidebar for probably close to 2 years now and I've been using Nero for far longer. I've never really had any problems Desktop Sidebar unless it had to do with a poorly authored plugin. I've never had a problem with IE or Nero, even going way back. I've never used Simply Accounting so I don't know what all is involved there.

Also, I've been testing the hell out of this installer and I've yet to run into any problems. With a good deal of my installers I perform a two step snaphot using InstallShield AdminStudio. That is not the case with Desktop Sidebar however. I'm taking the original .msi file and modifying it - adding in files and registry entries. I initially tried a repack, but there were issues I was unable to resolve, so I started to nuts with the original file.

Something I probably should have specified off the bat is that at a minimum, you need to have .NET V1.1 installed. It may not hurt to have .NET V2.0 installed though because the captured registry entries were done on a machine with .NET 2.0 installed.

If anyone else is having issues, I'd appreciate the feedback.

FlyingGleek

Post by FlyingGleek » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:13 pm

RogueSpear,

Thanks for the info, and to add to this discussion, I have dot net 1.1 and 2.0 installed. There are no errors during installation, just during use of the computer(s). Tried it on an Acer, a Toshiba and an Asus motherboard desktop too. Hope others aren't having these problems that I am, but I hope I can figure out what is making my installs so unstable with Sidebar XP. Thanx in advance for any help given.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:01 pm

I've tried it on a Dell Inspiron laptop, my personal rig at home, my desktop and laptop at work and haven't had any issues. I'm wondering if there is something about your installs that's throwing a wrench in it. If there's anything useful in the event log, let me know.

FlyingGleek

Post by FlyingGleek » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:23 pm

RogueSpear wrote:Ok, this was a pain in the balls. Well actually it's not so bad now that I have it all figured out. Consider this to be "beta" for the time being, but in my testing it works great. I added in a ton of skins, some extra slideshows, and a few plugins. If the feedback is good, I'll work on adding in more of the plugins.

Switchless Silent Installer - 6.47MB
MD5: 0E15EC03EF06DECE963CAE1AE1088416

.CAB Addon - 6.47MB
MD5: 5A3CCC48D6F77346BEF9DA26FC1FE383
RogueSpear, the MD5's for both these downloads are wrong - as is the size of the downloads too (closer to 9.6MB instead of 6.47MB). Is this why I'm having errors? Did these get an invisible update (by you)?

Still trying to track down my problems with this pack, thanks for the support - Cheers!

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:31 pm

I just updated the downloads within the last hour... then I got sidetracked (that happens to me a lot). I'll update the post as soon as I can, but basically I threw in more plugins. Full details and MD5's can be found in the link in my signature.

phatkat98

Post by phatkat98 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:19 am

i added 14 cab add-on. and all of the got applied except for desktop side bar.
is there a way to find out why not..
should they get added in vmware? or will i only know if i do a clean install no my pc? i use vmware.
the othere add on are
7zip
adobereader
crapclean
dvd433
dvd decryter
dvdfab
dvd shrink
ffshow
issscript
quicktime alt
rela alt
taskswitcher
wmp10
Shawn C Denley

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:33 am

I just had this happen to me for the first time yesterday on a Dell laptop. In the event log was an error message that basicpanels.dll couldn't be registered. I then ran the installer and it installed just fine. When I run DS manually an error dialog complains about something having to do with the nVidia control panel .cpl file missing :shock: But then DS runs without issue. Also when I reboot the Dell, DS starts up without the error message regarding the .cpl file. Very odd indeed.

I've used the installer on an HP laptop, a generic desktop, and in VMware without any issues. I'm not sure if the BTS method of installing the video drivers is somehow messing around with it or not. If you wanted to play it safe, you could always install it from RunOnceEx.

phatkat98

Post by phatkat98 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:18 pm

mine just don't get applied.. i think i will take a look at the vmware error log. i have not intergrated my drivers yet.. and i use ati...
there are someother addons that don't get applied.

here is the error i get in evet viewer
Product: Desktop Sidebar 1.05.111 -- Error 1904. Module C:\Program Files\Utilities\Desktop Sidebar\basicpanels.dll failed to register. HRESULT -2147010895. Contact your support personnel.

Windows Setup encountered non-fatal errors during installation. Please check the setuperr.log found in your Windows directory for more information.

i looked for that setuperr.log but it is not on the system
Shawn C Denley

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:26 pm

You may be deleting setuperr.log with your unattended tweaks. It should be in c:\windows
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

phatkat98

Post by phatkat98 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:34 pm

i would say that is the case exepct i have not got to the point where i have any tweaks add.
i believe i know what happened.. could crapclear wiped my log out?
i will do another clean install thru vmware. again thank you ryan and rouge...
Shawn C Denley

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:08 pm

I'm really surprised this one is flaking out. Unlike a good deal of my installers, this one uses the original .msi but modified with additional files and reg entries. Nothing very esoteric about this one. If this was a repack, I could see understand there being issues.

phatkat98

Post by phatkat98 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:31 pm

okay vmware clean install is done.. crapclean did not remove setuperr.log
is not in my windows directory.
would making my own billboards and autorun have an effect on this.
i have not added any tweaks yet.
the steps i took
sp1 to sp2
create winnt.sif
back up iso.. test
and via raid and ali raid so no more f6
add ryanvm update pack.. test
then i added only rougespeares add-on.. (since they were the only ones i go to work previously) my trail and error.
i added 14 of rouges add-ons...13 installed as listed above
the only one i can't get in stalled is desttop side bar.
but why would i not have a log file.... i did not use nlite at all. the intergration was all manual. up until ryanvm update..

i would like to get past this part..but i am patient ,, and i have the advantage of being a stay at home dad. but the wife is ready to have a computer. LMAO... she will have to wait i guess... i'm not one to back down from a pc challenge.
Shawn C Denley

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:53 pm

In order to get this to work quickly I would suggest trying to incorporate it into your RunOnceEx routine. If you're feeling up to some self punishment, you could always try it from cmdlines.txt.

I have two intallers, Windows Journal Viewer and Photo Story 3, that for some reason will install just fine from cmdlines.txt, but not from svcpack.inf. It's another one of the unattended mysteries.

phatkat98

Post by phatkat98 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:04 pm

will it just as easy to remove it from my want list and try after i please my wifes needs..LOL
and attack the problem later. arrrhhhh
Shawn C Denley

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:28 pm

It uninstalls via Add/Remove Programs if that's what you're asking. All of my installers uninstall from there actually.

phatkat98

Post by phatkat98 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:36 pm

no your add-ons are great.. i was suggesting removing it from my cd .. untill i can have time to find out why it won't install
Shawn C Denley

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:56 pm

Thank you for compliment :D While I'm none too happy about this little "bug" with the installler, I honestly don't know when I'll have the time to seriously tackle it. At some point I do have plans to add some more of the better plugins and two of my favorite slideshows as well. Hopefully at that time I'll be able to nail this thing down once and for all.

For the time being though, I'd say that if it works from svcpack.inf then that's great, but for those who it does not work for from there, give it a shot from RunOnceEx. I set the ALLUSERS property to "2", which incidentally I do with all of my installers, so running it from RunOnceEx should still set any HKCU to the Default User. But honestly, all of the personal settings with this app are kept in XML files anyway, so that doesn't even matter much.

FlyingGleek

Post by FlyingGleek » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:33 pm

RogueSpear,

Just a quick note to ask if you might be interested in updating this addon?

Maybe the latest version will be more bugfree?

Thanks in advance for your consideration. :)

Cheers,

FlyingGleek

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:55 pm

**bump** recently updated.......

steviewonder

Post by steviewonder » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:51 am

cAN SOMEONE REUPP THE SILENT INSTALLER FOR THIS?

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:49 am

Someone is, patience, grasshopper

steviewonder

Post by steviewonder » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:26 pm

Sounds awesome, having problems with the RC2 sidebar,
major problems :(

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:43 pm

steviewonder wrote:Sounds awesome, having problems with the RC2 sidebar,
major problems :(
What problems?

steviewonder

Post by steviewonder » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:09 pm

In Vmware, it runs and adding cpu meter it freezes, then doesn't
load, after that.
Then When i try to reboot the end program comes up saying side.exe end task.

I installed it on my real machine last night and when it tries to load it gives message;
error reading memory address and no go.

Also when running it for the first time while my windows post installer runs,
it doesn't load at all on the next reboot, but if i let it load, do a reboot and then run wpi, it loads good,

Also the RSS feed unable to connect to live feeds.

The weather unable to connect, keeps saying getting data.
Otherwise this is a promising addon.

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:14 pm

hmmm sounds like you are using the installer instead of the addon...

steviewonder

Post by steviewonder » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:43 am

I integrated the installer with Ryans and
just did a new build and it loads fine and most of the gadgets
work except the cpu, which crashes it, if i can either remove this gadget or just ignore it, it's very nice.
I have a silent installer now of the one above and added it to my wpi.
as backup.

I tried adding *.Gadgets to it but no go.

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:15 am

You have to use 7zip to extract the whatever.gadget file...
Now copy you whaterver folder you just extracted with 7zip and copy it to the Gadgets folder in %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar and add .Gadget to the end of the folder name.

FYI guys im currently running RTM sidebar (fixed :)) with the systray icon and with no need for the VAIO DLLs to be copied into the same folder as the sidebar, Im waiting for the next VAIO build to be released to update my addon

steviewonder

Post by steviewonder » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:40 am

Yes I found the folder
It's a great sidebar project, by the way. :o