[PLEASE READ] Mrs Peel Addons: Dominatrix Re-Loaded

Discuss & post Update Pack addons here.
Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

[PLEASE READ] Mrs Peel Addons: Dominatrix Re-Loaded

Post by Mrs Peel » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:37 pm

Hiya peeps,

Well I have finally got all of my addons rewritten and updated and apologies that it took more time than expected but I had a huge workload with getting my final college paper in and it took me another week longer because I decided that it was important to sift through all the releases I have made and make sure that I was not violating any of their licencing agreements - yikes what a mission that was!

So as a result of that I have been forced to withdraw four of my releases permanently due to license issues. Our recent experience with Systernals EULA's was a rather scary wakeup call in that regard. To the very best of my knowledge all addons currently shared here by me now adhere to authors licenses and I have added copies of licenses to all addon packs where the author states this as a requirement of redistributing them.

There are still three addon packs temporarily suspended as I wait for replies back from the authors who asked that peeps check with them before distributing their work, even tho it is freeware, however I believe this will be just a formality and it is good to respect the software authors who work for us for free. If I get any compaints from authors of any of my other packs I will be withdrawing them if requested to do so.

So the original reason I decided to rewrite all my packs is that I got a nasty surprise when I came to integrate them in a recent Windows 2000 Pro build because the txtsetup for Win2k requires that we use the code "1" instead of "100". Since the "1" code will still work for both XP and 2003 Server (in fact if you look in the text setup files for Win2k3 they ONLY use "1" in there) I have recoded all my entries files with that code instead.

Only two of my current releases will not work under Windows 2000 and they are specific addons for XP and 2003 anyway so I left them with "100" code to prevent peeps from inadvertently trying to slipstream them in a Win2k build. This whole experience has been a massive learning curve and I will shortly be documenting what I learned from it in a series of tutorials for our new Wiki.

I also discovered (much to my embarassment) that a few of my addons were not 8:3 compliant so those have all been fixed up properly now and I have also rewritten many of my inf's so that even files inside the addon cab will also be 8:3 complaint and renamed to their original filenames during the installation process. Thanks to Ryan and Paul for bringing the issue to my attention and also to Xable for recommending we make files inside cabs 8:3 compliant as well ;)

Every one of my current addons has been tested in VMware (and also one live build) using virgin versions of Windows 2000 SP4, Windows XP Pro SP2 and Windows 2003 Server SP1 with NO Windows Updates installed - so if you find installation problems with any of them on your own build that has hotfixes slipstreamed then it might be an issue there and you will need to notify me of such.

OK, I think that's all you need to know and you will be able to recognise my posts that have been updated because I have changed the colour scheme of them and added a new line to the addon information which states which OS builds they are compatible with.

If you have downloaded any previous versions of my addons then please DELETE your copy and download the new versions which I have posted here during the last few days.

LOL sorry for spamming the board with all the updates and releases, but as you can see it has been a job that kept me very busy lately ;)

Cheers m'dears

PS: I have no idea how many people here are using my addon packs, so if you are then I would really appreciate it if you would reply to the release threads to let me know because some of them may not be being used enough to warrant my ongoing maintainence. I'd rather focus my energies on the addons that members are getting good use out of, so that kind of feedback would help me a lot ;)

<<< Stickied for two days so everyone gets a chance to read this update announcement >>>
Last edited by Mrs Peel on Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:11 am, edited 4 times in total.

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:25 am

The Installation Structure I Use For My Addon Packs

Firstly, I do not pre-configure my addons with registry entries in the inf file for two reasons. One is that I do not want to make choices for you about how your programs and file associations should be configured, eg: you might like to have Damn NFO Reader installed but not use it as your default reader for diz files. And the other is I believe it is the safest way to ensure cross-platform compatability so I don't have to make individual addon versions for each OS.

All my addons install into sub-folders of the %PROGRAMFILES% directory - same as RogueSpears directory system except I use A "Network" folder which he does not - and all my shortcuts go into the Start\Programs folders using exactly the same directory structure, with only one of my addons placing shortcuts in the Startup folder (Rainlendar). I have always installed my programs this way because I hate clutter and like everything to be in nice neat compartments.

This is an example of the structure I use:

Code: Select all

\Programs
    \Desktop
        \AgentRansack
        \ArsClip
        \CopyMsgBox
        \DamnNFO
        \DirLister
        \ESBCalculator
        \ExtCharMap
        \FreshFiles
        \Rainlendar
        \RenameMaster
        \TaskbarPlus
        \TrayIt
        \WinRoll
        \WordWeb
    \Games
        \Absolutist
        \DROD
        \FreeGames
        \NeaveFlash
    \Graphics
        \ColorSelect
        \FontThing
        \FSViewer
        \IconsExtract 
        \MWSnap
        \Nvu
        \PhotoFiltre
        \TuxPaint
    \Internet
        \HTTrack
        \SamSpade
        \Speex
        \UltraFXP
        \uTorrent
    \Multimedia
        \CDPlayer
    \Network
        \LANPump
        \NetMeter
    \Security
        \Stinger
        \TorProxy
    \Startup
        \Rainlendar
        \Transparent (Win2000 only)
    \Utilities
        \Dariusz
        \DISKdata
        \FindDupe
        \FlexRename
        \KarenWare
        \Locate32
        \NirSoft
        \PowerOff
        \Pserv2
        \PSPad
        \PTFB
        \RegTweak
        \StartDelay
        \SwitchOff
        \WhyReboot
        \WinAudit
\Windows
    \Fonts
        |-Famous
        |-MSGreet
        |-MSPub
        |-MSWorks
        |-PizzaDude
        |-Win2000
        |-Win2003
        |-WinXP
    \System32
        |-RegTweak-CPL
        |-Screensavers
        |-StartDelay-CPL
        |-TweakUI-CPL (Win2000 only)
        |-Wallpapers
        |-WinAudit-CPL
        \ShellExt
            |-TaskbarCalc
            |-FileCase
Please note that I will not be changing this structure at any time in the future and I do not apologise for this, so I won't be offended if any of you decide to rewrite my releases to go to installation/shortcut paths of your own choosing - just please remove my name from the Entries_file comments section and the cab file name if you decide to go ahead repost your own version of it here, that's all I ask ;)

Also note that I make all my addons to use with my personal nLite builds and so they are all tested ONLY with nLite and not with Integrator, however they should all work with Integrator as I will always write addons to be compatable with that too. Another thing I will always do, for as long as Nuhi continues to support Windows 2000, is write my addons to be compatible with that OS too, unless of course it is a platform-specific addon. eg: the Disable Windows Pic/Fax Viewer.

OK, so I hope that is all clear now and you will understand why I will not be very responsive to peeps asking me to make special versions of my releases just for them, unless of course I think it is a really really good idea which I could employ myself in my own personal versions of them - I am always open to innovation if there's something in it for me too hehehe :D

Cheers y'all

PS: Oh and I forgot to add, that quite a lot of my addons require VB runtimes to be installed, so you should integrate Kel's Runtime pack for them to run without errors. For addons that require other runtimes such as "C" or "Delphi" dll files, I have been including required files in the program root folder - didn't want to copy them to system32 folder in case they overwrite versions you may already have installed. Dependency Walker is my good friend ;)
Last edited by Mrs Peel on Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:27 am

first off i find some of ur addons to b very cool usefull.
and to that i must say thank u ;)
said in appreciation and forwarded to all the good stuff the guys here started to deliver

since u have many addons my best advise is
having a post that holds links to every each of addons u allready posted
so when ever u have an update u can post a comment "upadated" ...
and so the post comes back to the top where Announcements and Stickys are
u can also ask peeps to please reply only to the threads of this main post
and once in a wile a mod can clean the comments only to keep ur main post clean
it will b much easier for u to maintain and for users of the board to track the changes u have made

hope this helps
cheers.

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:26 pm

Thanks for the feedback ENU_user, all members addons are listed in this post here and updated regularly by the mods when required, so I don't see the need for any special page just to list the MrsP ones. Of course that requires that peeps actually bother to read the stickies in the forums hehehe ;)

I guess I should also have mentioned above that 95% of the stuff I make is with low-income newbie computer users in mind - just useful little freeware apps that can help peeps who cannot afford to buy software get set up on a new (recycled) system - so I understand how many of them would not appeal to the more advanced users here, but hey that's OK.

In my spare time I help out with a local community group that is trying to promote computer literacy to peeps on welfare and pensions who could not otherwise afford to purchase a new PC from the store. We get older PC's and parts donated to us by local business's and friends who have upgraded their home PC which we try to recycle for them at minimal or no cost. So I am obviously focusing on builds for PCs that are pre-XP and around the 500Hz/128Mb RAM generation, hence my need for them to be Win2000 compatible.

I use for them a stripped down Win2k build with IE, OE, WMP removed - cos those are the insecure resource hog apps which majority of novice users get into trouble with - pre-tweak all the services and replace the native MS apps with Open Source stuff such as Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice, MPC, etc etc. I also toss in the build a few freeware utilities to help them with error reports and disk management, in case they need future tech support.

It's amazing how nice you can get these old PC's running with a bit of determination and nLite cunning hehehe :D

Aussie

Post by Aussie » Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:27 am

Why is this a sticky?

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:33 am

<<< Stickied for two days so everyone gets a chance to read this update announcement >>>

I didn't want the post to get buried too quickly. I'll unsticky it tomorrow.

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:22 pm

Unstickied.

Thanks for reading and PLEASE remember to dump your previous versions of MrsP Addons and replace them with these re-released versions.

Cheers m'dears ;)

Stellvia12

Post by Stellvia12 » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:43 pm

Or else ppl like me will continue to say, "Hey why doesn't this work, Hey why doesn't this work, Hey why doesn't this work, Hey why doesn't this work, Hey why doesn't this work, Hey why doesn't this work, Hey why doesn't this work, Hey why doesn't this work, Hey why doesn't this work, Hey why doesn't this work, Hey why doesn't this work, Hey why doesn't this work?"

AND ON AND ON!

Please also remember to take out the trash :shock:
FYI GUNDAM SEED Destiny DVD 3-4 ARE COMING OUT SOON!!! Scratch that its out....

Mrs Peel
The Dominatrix Recoded

Post by Mrs Peel » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:01 am

LOL well they worked OK before, but I needed them to work on Win2k as well, sort out 8:3 issues with a couple and the get all the licensing stuff in order while as I was at it ;)