[Tools] Reducing Size Of Source

Discuss & post Update Pack addons here.
ENU_user

[Tools] Reducing Size Of Source

Post by ENU_user » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:11 pm

this addon is a simulation of the famous method found @ Unattended Secret: Reducing Size Of Source

using this method the setup leaves out files that have none of relevance to setup.
respectively keeping only the files it needs. ignoring the rest

some files to be removed in this method may be needed by x user .. so it needs to be reviewed

no edits are performed to information files!

its recommended to read the mentioned post for clarifications and the entries file before using it as is.

the drivers expanded by this method are simulated as well ;known to cause the boot sequence of setup to run faster.

:review: and decide whats to get removed!!!

mirror

ENU_AddOn_Reducing_Size_Of_Source.rar Download
MD5 b98e99a1fa9f129f7b2d2f6368877d9a
Last edited by ENU_user on Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

keegan

Post by keegan » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:58 am

Neat..... I'm guessing that this is Integrator only???

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:34 am

yes you can run it only with siginets integrator as it will support the commands used in this entries file
where most of them are defined here: http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=488

TechnoHunter

Post by TechnoHunter » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:07 am

hmmm not sure why (could be net problems) but i recieve a "can not find host fileleecher.com" when i try to download this addon.. any chance of a different host?

thanks in advance!
TechnoHunter

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:06 am

seems fileleecher are down here are 2 extra mirrors i hope one will work , let me know if you are still unable to receive ..

http://www.filecrunch.com/file/~wlrn1q
http://www.2shared.com/file/2519050/d1a ... ource.html?

TechnoHunter

Post by TechnoHunter » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:50 am

thanks, first alternate link worked great :)

TechnoHunter

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:04 am

I'm intending to release a real module of this method so it works authentically per user or use
it will prob real fast what files are found to be orphaned by setup in i386
.. producing a new entries file for listing / reviewing / using

so why bother?

stray files from bad integrations ,old ,useless OEM files .etc proove to be real bad for the overall setup speed
it just seems setup enjoys spotless ISOs so much better!
amazingly the setup really kicks in speed this way.

motofan

Post by motofan » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:44 am

ok, I have two questions:
1) is this working for 2003 Server?
2) should I integrate it before or after nLiting?

thx in advance

biatche
I can't read

Post by biatche » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:47 am

NICE! I've always needed something like this. I've yet to test it though. ENU_user: Will integrating other addons be affected? Since most addons make use of i386 directory.

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:08 am

this new tool i have posted here : http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=63963#63963
is more accurate in getting stray files out of per personal cd thats why i made so its more reliable and authentic to the cd each one has

from this threads addon you should try using only the file expand part and the dir removals abandoning the rest
but not before you can use this new tool i have mentioned
then go back and use the other stuff from this threads addon

biatche
I can't read

Post by biatche » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:57 am

Call me dumb or illiterate or whatever, but I'm having a hard time understanding your description.

so, your ISOJUMPER is like a "scanner" that determines which files are in use and which aren't?

Do I integrate EVERYtHING* like usual along with that ISOJUMPER first? Once I've built an ISO successfully do I then make a new integration WITHOUT ISOJUMPER and WITH this UASECRET, but customized?

(let's call this UASECRET alright from now on rather than a funny name like reducing size of source lol)

Is integrating the following compatible / affected?

#1 REMOVALS (Removal_Accessibility_DeleteAddon_v1.4.CAB, Removal_MovieMaker_DeleteAddon_v1.5.CAB)
#2 BASHRAT DRIVERPACKS

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:14 am

the iso jumper doesn't add or remove anything, so it doesnt matter when its to be used ..
and it is a scanner probing the files found under i386
you can use it anytime to see what gets listed ,so it isn't a removal for components ..

its more likely, this tool turned to be a super geek tool, helping to see what files are getting ignored by the setup as it is using the real authentic engine of the setup ...

biatche
I can't read

Post by biatche » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:51 am

When does ISOJUMPER scan/probe files and see what files get ignored? After a windows installation?

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:12 am

probed against the files found under i386\ where usually addons are integrated to .etc
it launches the setup engine, ends it! gets the results real quick and outputs the list to review in the form of entries_ini not changing anything ...

motofan: sorry didn't see you're post. i use this on xp not sure what parts are used on win2003

and using this now: http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5585

Fragbert

Post by Fragbert » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:18 am

I followed that thread for years and I never got a conclusive answer from people running their UXPCD installs on current generation hardware - is there really a difference in the speed of install? And what else does this method eliminate (around 14MB) from the XP source that nlite or manual deletion of "safe to delete" folders does not?

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:19 pm

if you are familiar with the method then here is a another method:
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5585
finding "stray files existence" and svcpack inconsistencies
will try to add other features maybe later

as to what tends to be myth or not I'll happily choose "myth" as i'm not looking for conclusiveness :)

biatche
I can't read

Post by biatche » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:12 pm

In RVM 1.5, I see new advanced options

optimize system files

and

use cached drivers.cab

Do I turn those on? Mind giving instructions on how to use this with rvm 1.5?

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:13 pm

* "optimize system files" will look for uncompressed files and compress them (including the files this addon offers to uncompresses) among alphabetizing entries for txtsetup.sif

* from a former project when "using cached drivers.cab" a copy will be stored or found in the @plugins root under "cached" directory among drvindex.inf which spells the contents of driver.cab

ready for any new upcoming integration, an update pack or when starting a new project

the idea is to prevent the integration to falsely repack driver.cab and unnecessarily, as contents are prone to be in same

biatche
I can't read

Post by biatche » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:39 pm

Now i'm even more confused, what should I turn on, what shouldn't I so that it's compatible with your this pack.

Sorry for being rude, but I really have a difficult time understanding a lot of your explanations :)

I cannot make out what you're trying to tell me in line 3 and line 4.

Mind telling me what I should do or what settings you use? I'll experiment this way.

ENU_user

Post by ENU_user » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:52 pm

i can run "optimize system files" along with some addon so it kicks in...
after that... i de-select advance options as there is no use for this to be running again per completion

if you are asking to expand the boot files by integrating this addon , simply make sure "optimize system files" option isn't checked. the files should be uncompressed after the use of "optimize system files" on a separate integration