SVCPACK method & Ryan's Integrator

Discuss & post Update Pack addons here.
bina

SVCPACK method & Ryan's Integrator

Post by bina » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:12 am

Hi there,

I've made a couple of AutoIt installers (using Entries_xxx.ini) for my XPCD. The scripts are quite straightforward using "click-on-this-and-that button-of-installer-GUI" method :) I've noticed though that the Integrator extracts the contents of CAB files directly into the SVCPACK folder and inserts the data from Entries_.ini to svcpack.inf. Hence my question below!

Knowing that svcpack initiates at T-13 of Windows Setup, will the setup recognize the button commands from AutoIt script? Sorry, if this sounds stupid but my understanding is that (with AutoIt scripts) Windows must first logon after setup finishes in order to start initialisation of GUI-based AutoIt scripts. I think AutoIt-made application installs start at the same time as RunOnceEx method. But now I can see that SVCPACK method is used instead. Any comments?

Thank you very much!
Thanks!

Rustam

user_hidden

Post by user_hidden » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:07 am

i have used autoit script based exe from svcpack (T13).

i would presume it would depend on the s/w you are installing as to if it would be svcpack or runoncexe compatible.

bina

Post by bina » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:22 pm

Thank you!

So, it means that I better use RunOnceEx as it seems more logical/practical if one needs to choose between the safiest (RunOnceEx) and the unguaranteed (SVCPACK) methods of install.

In this case my only problem is GUI... since I don't know how to hide the windows when AutoIt starts install. I have tried to use @SW_HIDE command but it seems it doesn't work with all EXEcutables. Now I have two GUIs running at the same time - RunOnceEx & software being installed through autoit script. Any solution?!?
Thanks!

Rustam

user_hidden

Post by user_hidden » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:11 pm

seems like something to ask autoit support forums.

btw, what s/w are you installing that you need it to be run by autoit?

bina

Post by bina » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:50 pm

I'm just coming from AutoIt forums :) Waiting for reply...

As for the s/w, well, you know these developers - they put tons of garbage into installers which means a simple silent switch is not enough if you want to tailor the installer to your needs.

I'm not too fussy about unattended install. What I basically want is to install a couple of s/w packages that I always use - like Adobe Reader, WinRAR, Open Office, anti-virus, K-Lite (for videos), GIMP (an open source tool similar to Photoshop), and WinAMP. Plus to add some registry tweaks and delete unnecessary WinXP features like online games, etc. And I'm done...

If you take WinAMP for example, a simple silent run doubles the installation size and puts lots of features which I don't need at all. The same applies to other software as well. That's why I've chosen AutoIt. (I'm too lazy to dive into learning software unpackaging, using Install Watch Pro or similar... this sort of stuff, you know) :)
Thanks!

Rustam

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:03 pm

I have never had any issues with autoit scripts running at T13 (svcpack). The only portion of windows setup I have had autoit issues in is in the presetup portion. Before T39.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

bina

Post by bina » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:19 am

Thanks a lot! I'll try your advise.
Thanks!

Rustam