[Release] SlateRefresh v1.5 Add-On ~1/25/05~

Discuss & post Update Pack addons here.
DisabledTrucker
Location: Country of Mental on the Planet Trucker in the MidnightHunter Galaxy.

Post by DisabledTrucker » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:36 pm

Not using these packs, you may want to try RyanVM's uxtheme.dll cab addon instead as the Hacked Files Pack has problems with RyanVM Integrator 1.05. I'll take another look at what's wrong with the files not copying over here in a minute I'm not sure what they are doing wrong, yet, I've been over the code 50 times in the last three days and I even rebuilt it the other night using Microsofts own file as a template for it. Do you see an AUTORUN folder in your %SYSTEMDRIVE% or have any of the icons replacing any of the other folders such as Program Files, Themes, Icons, Wallpaper, Readme's? What about the WMP skins are there any extras there now? What about the AUTORUN.INF is there another icon showing up for your install drive now in Explorer? Are all the icons being placed into the icons and AUTORUN Folder? Do you see a download folder on your desktop? Did any of the cursors get changed do you see a theme for them in your mouse settings? What about the fonts or the screensavers?

I have yet to get to install this version so I'm not sure if it's working yet or not, I was going to do it last night but I instead rebuilt the themes. I'm trying now to get to where I can install it myself and see what's going on with it, hope to be able to tonite.

EDIT: I've looked at it and the only thing I could possibly find that may be causing the problems I fixed and again you can just download the hacked files from the previous link in case you have version 1.3 of the Refresh pack, all others must download the full packs. Here's the new hash: 7622A33A709821FEA6F820399383ED78
Matthew 22:36-40

I have some gmail invites left, if you'd like one IM me and let me know.

[url=mms://wmc1.liquidviewer.net/WNOR]WNOR FM-99[/url] The best station in the world!

f9cator

Post by f9cator » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:25 pm

I can only confirm that the uxtheme.dll works because I am able to apply the Slate XP theme if I manually copied the Slate XP folder into the theme folder.

There is no AUTORUN folder in %SYSTEMDRIVE%. No change in any of the icons (at least not that I know of). No extra skin for WMP either. I also didn't see any download folder on the desktop. No new mouse theme, fonts or screensaver.

However SlateCur.inf, WindowSS.inf and TheTheme.inf were found in the INF folder.

Just to let you know that for all the installation testing, I had been using winnt.sif and registry tweaking for my unattended installation. Is there a possibility that one of the settings or tweaking may cause problem?!

I hope that you can test out this theme on your machine as the problem may only be experience by me alone. I don't want you to waste your time and effort to work on something that may possibly be working already.

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:54 pm

I'm having a DVD-Rewriter problem burning my DVD to do my install with, I think the burner's on it's last legs, but as soon as get the DVD burnt again, I'll be testing it myself. Yes it very well could be that your winnt.sif and or other tweaking could be causing the problem. When I install I don't use WinNT.sif to do my installs with, so that very well could be a problem with my pack. It could also be that when you used the hacked files pack it caused the RyanVM Installer to not correctly finish it's job, too.

For some reason the RyanVM Integrator doesn't like that file I still am working on debugging that one too but I am at a loss on it and I didn't ever get any responses to my queries as to why it's not working. I used the same code that Siginet said should work but it's not working, so I don't know what is wrong with it. I'll have to see if there is some other way I can implement the registry entries when I get more time and see if that will work or not.

Have you attempted to right click on any of the .inf files and then click on "Install" to see if it actually installs the files? Did the wallpapers install?

[url=mms://wmc1.liquidviewer.net/WNOR]WNOR FM-99[/url] The best station in the world!

f9cator

Post by f9cator » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:54 am

Are there any other methods (not using RyanVM Integrator or Style XP) to install Slate Theme?

I have tried installing with both SlateCur.inf and TheTheme.inf. But they just simply "blink" and nothing else happen. I had checked but no cursors or themes were installed.

WindowSS.inf seems to "behave" better. It did looked for the 3D Windows XP.scr file. However after selecting the .scr file, it continues and then pop up a message saying "Setup cannot copy the file 3D Windows Xp.inf" (I don't recall seeing this file?!).

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:01 am

hmm, not sure what is going on then, I'm in the process now of burning my DVD, finally got it to work, I'll report back my findings and fixes if necessary afterwards. As far as your installing by the .inf files, did you do it from the files in the inf folder? If so that didn't work? Then it could be due to the cab files having been erased after the install, I'll look into that too and see what's up with that. As far as the WindowsSS.inf file goes, it's to install the 3D Windows Screensaver, so if you look into your %SystemRoot%\System32 folder it should already be there, if not then it's because the cabinet didn't work with it either. The file is in the SCRNSAVS.cab file, it should have copied into your system32 folder during installation, but if your doing something during your installation to modify the installation files that alone could be your problem those "tweaks" you're doing may be the root of your problems. If you're using RyanVM's integrator and the uxtheme patch then it should work just like it's supposed to, I'm not so sure about the StyleXP, I put that up top as an option for those who use it, to be able to use the actual theme files as they are that type of theme file, the way I have always used it was with uxtheme patch, I've never had any luck with StyleXP myself, it always caused too many bugs for my taste. Is it not giving you any errors when installing Windows?

From what I can tell it seems that your doing something with your "tweaking" that is causing the pack not to install at all, have you tried any of the other addons here, like the cursor ones from Xable to see if they are installing correctly or not? Not knowing what tweaking your attempting to do doesn't help also that noone else has posted either tells me that you're probably doing something wrong with your "tweaks" or one of them is causing a conflict. It also though could be that this method isn't compatible with the WinNT.sif method of installations, I'll have to look into that too.

Thanks for the help you're giving me thus far, I'll keep on this till I get it all sorted out.

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:03 am

So far over 40 downloads on filefront alone so this pack must be finally working correctly, unless noone's reporting back on it's failures...

f9cator

Post by f9cator » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:34 am

I have finally found the time to test the v1.4 pack without any tweaks or winnt.sif file. The result is the same as before. Which means the themes, cursors, screensavers and fonts didn't get installed.

I am really out of idea what else is wrong.

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:41 am

I'm currently completing my first reinstallation disk since I've discussed this last time and I'll be able to test it later tonite myself and see where the problem lies, I may have to redo it altogether and set it up in a 7zip silent installer to make it work correctly.

f9cator

Post by f9cator » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:09 am

It will be great if the 7zip silent installer can be executed in the RUNONCEEX.CMD. :)

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:19 am

If I do it at all it will run from svcpack...

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:07 am

Okay folks, it's finally fixed, I finally got all the bugs worked out of this pack! :mrgreen:

I'm currently in the process of updating the sites where the packs are linked to so it may be a bit before it's actually available...

Note: There is no longer a smaller pack, everything in the big pack now works as advertised! Don't forget to grab your UXTHEME.DLL file or StyleXP software before attempting to use these files!

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:39 am

Thank you DisabledTrucker!

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:26 am

You're quite welcome, Kel, hope it's working for you too now... :D

f9cator

Post by f9cator » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:26 pm

I think it is just me who can never get this nice theme to work on my unattended installation. :(

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:39 pm

Try this latest version of it, it should be working now unless it's something your doing. As I mentioned previously I don't support installs with nLite and I believe that's your problem.

f9cator

Post by f9cator » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:48 am

I had already tried your latest v1.5 cab file but did not successfully get it working.

I never uses nLite for unattended installation. I created the ISO images according to the MSFN's Unattended Windows guide.

Would you be kind enough to write out the steps and procedure on how do you go about installing your computer with the latest theme cab. Then I will try your method and see if everything works.

dazkrlauwste

Post by dazkrlauwste » Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:30 am

I havn't been able 2 use ur pack since the very first version u made. Are u saying that it can only be succesfully integrated with the RVM Integrator 1.0.5?

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:55 am

Let me try and download this copy of it and install it myself, although it's the same copy I tested with prior to uploading it. I use the following way of creating my packs:
1. Take my WXPFPP_EN disk, slipstream SP2 onto it. (This part has already been done, including my raid drivers I need to find the rest of my drives with.)

2. Run Siginet's RVMIntegrator 1.0.5 and add RVMUpdates 2.x (Current working version) and this theme, including the LClock, only.

3. Use CDImage_Pro, from MSFN.org, (you can find my copy of it here.) to create my ISO (Sha1: 89C90775EC19F32E4B5BB15BD2D794A0D66ED07B)
(Note Updated 1/6/06 to include x64 version as well.)

4. Use DVDDecryptor/Imgburn to burn this image to a DVD, (when you have these integrated it's too big for a 700MB cd.)

5. Leave everything in and reboot my system, then when it says "Boot from CDROM..." I hit my spacebar then let Windows go through it's paces to reinstall, which it does without errors.

6. Back at my desktop I check the file placements, there should be a Downloads folder on your desktop, (the icon sometimes doesn't take but the folder is there,) Look for LClock to be running where the clock is as well. Then go to "Shared Documents" and check to see if the "My Games" folder is there and has it's icon, (this too sometimes doesn't show, but the folder is there.) Then look at %SystemDrive% for "Program Files" folder to see if it's icon worked or not, as well as the "AUTORUN" folder to see if it's there or not, (You should also see an "AUTORUN.INF" file there as well, and look at the HDD icon to make sure it's correctly there,) and look inside to see if all the icons made it. Then look at "%SystemRoot%\Resources" to check and see if there's an "Icon" folder and that it's icon worked or not as well as the "Themes" folder to see that it's icon also worked, then open the "Themes" folder to make sure that all the themes installed and then back up into "%SystemDrive%\Web" to see if the icon has changed for the "Wallpaper" and open it to see if all the wallpapers are there, (You should have also noticed the "Bliss" wallpaper was different on your desktop. Also look in "%SystemRoot%\Cursors" to see that the cursors are in their respective directories, should be two: "Left Slate" and "Righty Slate" with 15 icons each inside them.

7. Then right click on my desktop and look into the "Themes" drop down list and make sure that all the themes are there and then click on "SlatePDC" and "Apply" them, when it works the icons are changed to the Lefty Slate, which tells me that those also installed correctly. Your desktop icons would then be replaced by the ones for the them as well as the nVidia screensaver will now be your default screensaver if you look on that tab. The wallpaper also changes to the "Strange World VI" wallpaper as well.

8. Then go into your "Mouse" properties and look to see if you don't have a "Lefty Slate" and "Righty Slate" theme there, and both should work as well if you click on them individually.

9. To check to see if the fonts made it, go back into your "Display Properties" on the "Appearance" tab and then on the "Advanced" button, if you look in the drop down list for "Icons" you should see a modifier drop down for the fonts, in that you should find "Lucida Calligraphy", "Lucida Grande" and "Lucida Handwriting" as well.
I did this twice once I got this final copy of it working from the desktop and both times it installed though some of the icons for the folders didn't take and it was different both times which ones, but that was just a matter of going back into the folder properties and pointing to them. (Look in the desktop.ini's to see which ones I used for which ones.)

I'm fixing to finish up building my full disk where this is also a part of and I'll try it again with a plethoria of other Addon's here too to make sure I've got everything so there is no conflicts at least with anything else that may be included.

@dazkrlauwste, What I'm saying is I don't support nLite so if it works with it great, if it doesn't oh well. I'm only supporting it if it works with RVMIntegrator or not. And from all my tests it's worked from RVMIntegrator 1.0.5 thus far, as well as just placing the files into a folder on my desktop and expanding the *.in_ files and then right clicking on them and then on "Install" to install them. (Although the second way asks where the first file is and I have to point it to the .cab file right next to it, but outside of that it's working. I don't know why this asks this stupid question as it should already know that everything is inside that .cab file.)

Admittadly there were bugs in the other packs, but this latest one has had them all worked out that I can tell, except that for some strange reason sometimes all the icons to folders aren't created when it's installed although they are there and the information is correct for them. I've installed this now three times myself, once from the desktop, (where I initally got it working from, then twice from a regular install and each time it has worked for me.)

I don't do an unattended install, I do it as a regular install just as if I had purchased a Windows SP 2 disk with all this on it already, in case you all are wondering about that. It goes through without a hitch. Although there were a few times I had problems in the beginning each one since version 1.3 of the SlateRefresh pack has worked for me, but I apparently had something messed up where it did, this time I even went back and totally rebuilt my original SP2 slipstream so I could rule out that's what the problem was, prior to testing it this last time.

Now I did add all the RVMUpdates from his 2.0.1 pack when I originally tested this, I can't say yet that I've tested it with 2.0.2a but there shouldn't be any problems with it. You are remembering to patch your UXTHEME.DLL file when you do this too right? Also are you including the LClock? That shouldn't make any difference if you do or you don't but I'll test it again this time with RVMUpdate Pack 2.0.2a and without the LClock to see if that may have any bearings on it as well.
Last edited by DisabledTrucker on Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:14 pm

Okay apparently I must have posted the wrong one, the one that's up there has a few small typos in it, it would still install just that a few things didn't work right, so I've reuploaded the correct one now and it's online for those who were having problems with the last one. Don't know how I got them switched, must've been where I was tired when I was doing it... Anyways, try the newest one out and it should work, the only thing different is the TheTheme.inf file and I changed the .th_ files to the .THE ones other than that, nothing should be different between the two packs.

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:24 pm

It's been a while since I released this last version of this, I'm supposing it's fixed since noone's reported back that it's not working for them, someone please let me know if it is working or not for you so I can finally go on to making other Theme packs... f9cator? Anyone else?

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:15 pm

Tested LClock with Server 2003 to find that it works with it, see inital post for more info.

f9cator

Post by f9cator » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:17 am

Hi DisabledTrucker,

Somehow I still can't get your theme pack to work on my vmware. I think I will just give this pack a miss. Sorry that I won't be helping you to test again.

f9cator

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:23 am

As soon as I get my system back up, I'll take a look at it in VPC and see what it's doing in it, if it's doing anything differently, it's working on my live installs though, thanks.