Questions for Kamil

Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Update Pack discussion.
DisabledTrucker
Location: Country of Mental on the Planet Trucker in the MidnightHunter Galaxy.

Questions for Kamil

Post by DisabledTrucker » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:33 pm

Are you the only one building for this version?

Is there anything I should know outside of what M$ has written about this O/S before I try diving into it? Drivers? Application conflicts? Working Programs? etc?

I read everything they have on the subject at PlanetAMD64 but there's not really much content there either one this O/S, anything else I should be aware of before I start to use it?
Matthew 22:36-40

I have some gmail invites left, if you'd like one IM me and let me know.

[url=mms://wmc1.liquidviewer.net/WNOR]WNOR FM-99[/url] The best station in the world!

nfm

Post by nfm » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:17 pm

Yes, I'm the one that makes x64 update pack.

Obviously you need all of your drivers to be 64-bit and make sure that they're WHQL certified. If not, then you'll have to install them manually after Windows install.

All 32-bit apps that use any 16-bit extension, 16-bit InstallShield won't work on x64 system. (16-bit is not supported and can not be emulated)

There many other differences between 32-bit and 64-bit such as:
- x64 has additional folder called SysWoW64 where all 32-bit files are stored and ones that are emulated by wow64.dll
- there's additonal registry section, Wow6432Node, from now it gets more complicated. I suggest you to look into MS's articles and you'll find best answers

see this Link
^that gives you pretty much all that you need.

I say give it a try.
DFI LanParty UT SLI-DR, 510-2Mod BIOS
146 Opteron at 3.21Ghz, 1.568v WC, 3.5Ghz on DIce
G.SKILL PC3200 BH-5 DDR540+ 2-2-2-0 twtr=1, 3.68v
OCZ 520W 3.3v at 3.81 5.0v at 5.11v 12v at 12.61v

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:45 pm

[url=mms://wmc1.liquidviewer.net/WNOR]WNOR FM-99[/url] The best station in the world!

ralex

a question about 'Media Pack Addon'

Post by ralex » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:18 am

Thank you for your great job! I appreciate your efforts regarding such useful deal.:)
I have a question about 'Media Pack Addon'. I can integrate it successfully, but after installation XP64, I can't find any file from this 'cab' in Windows directory, except 'NFMMediaPack.ini' file.
This 'cab' without checksum, but it seems to me that it's OK, not broken. In any way smth wrong happens.
Thank you in advance.

nfm

Post by nfm » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:46 pm

Thank you for your great job! I appreciate your efforts regarding such useful deal.Smile
I have a question about 'Media Pack Addon'. I can integrate it successfully, but after installation XP64, I can't find any file from this 'cab' in Windows directory, except 'NFMMediaPack.ini' file.
This 'cab' without checksum, but it seems to me that it's OK, not broken. In any way smth wrong happens.
Thank you in advance.
This is perfectly normal. Windows copies .inf and .pnf for special purposes such as uninstalling a software. You should find the cab on your CD. Btw, I have made a lot of changes to media pack since beta3 on my site, I will be updating it later today to v1.1 final. Stay tuned.

To update to v1.1 when released you'll have to extract downloaded .cab followed by extraction of NFMMediaPack.in_ and lastly you'll right click on NFMMediaPack.inf and choose "Install". Run the included uninstaller when updating if you integrated b3.

EDIT: New version up. I strongly recommend to update.

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:49 pm

I have another question, would it be possible to use the _integrater.exe file without the update pack, if I choose to do just the DirectX pack for example? If it can be used this way, would it be too much for it to be a seperate download or included in the other packs, so if we don't use the update pack or there is an update to the pack that were integrating, we don't need to download the update pack as well to get the integrator to install them?

nfm

Post by nfm » Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:30 pm

Short answer, No,

__Integrate.exe looks for root files of Windows source e.g. WIN51AP and if it does not find them, then it will terminate itself.
Maybe you should reread directions:
Integration: Supported by __Integrate.exe from v1.31 Update Pack and nLite 1.0 RC4 or higher.
You can use nLite to integrate just DirectX Addon alone.

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:53 pm

I did read the directions, which is why I asked if it were possible to use the integrator seperate from the updatepack or not, since you said it's only limitation is that the file is looking for the Windows NT designator, then there shouldn't be any reason that it shouldn't work by itself, I'll give this a try later myself when I get back to my desktop to be certain, but there shouldn't be any reason it woudln't work, unless it's requiring the updatepack to be present in order for it to also look for the other files.

nfm

Post by nfm » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:49 pm

I did read the directions, which is why I asked if it were possible to use the integrator seperate from the updatepack or not, since you said it's only limitation is that the file is looking for the Windows NT designator, then there shouldn't be any reason that it shouldn't work by itself, I'll give this a try later myself when I get back to my desktop to be certain, but there shouldn't be any reason it woudln't work, unless it's requiring the updatepack to be present in order for it to also look for the other files.
I just wanted to be sure that you didn't miss anything :wink:
If you don't want to run nLite, you can put files and entries in manually by looking at entries.ini

Maybe it's time to talk with Siginet about my pack support in his Integrator?

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:04 am

It would be an awesome addition to the integrator to be able to do x64 with it as well. I did find out though that just running the integrator you have with the directx one it won't work. It may be me though, but I tried it twice both ways and it wouldn't do the DirectX addon at all. With or without the update pack being installed simultaniously and just the DirectX addon. When I tried to install them both either the Update pack or the DirectX pack wouldn't install, with just the directx pack, it wouldn't do it at all.