Windows Search 4.0...

Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Update Pack discussion.

Should Windows Search 4.0 be included in 5eraph's XP x64 Update Pack?

Yes, I like it and I use it.
10%
Yes, because it is on the MU website.
15%
I have no strong feelings either way.
15%
No, it is useless bloat.
58%
No, I use Google Desktop or another desktop search solution.
2%

Total votes: 48

5eraph
Site Admin

Windows Search 4.0...

Post by 5eraph » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:37 pm

I'm looking for opinions on Windows Search 4.0. It has just appeared on the Microsoft Update website as an optional update and I'm wondering if it should be included in the Update Pack. I'm leaning toward not including it.

Does anybody have a convincing argument for me to include it?

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:52 pm

Hey 5eraph I am having problems with my addon for windows search 4.0 and I was wondering if anybody knew the command to register SearchIndexer.exe (its self registering I think)

I have tried opening it in PE Explorer to look for the switches but dont know what to look for, I know one switch is SearchIndexer.exe /Embedding but thats it

If anybody knows how to view the EXE in some decompiler and find the other switches could you plz tell me how?

BTW its hard to get nLite to copy Search.adm twice with txtsetup, have to ask nuhi

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:19 pm

I haven't started working on it except to install it normally in VM to see how the program works. Integration sounds like it will be a learning experience.

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:22 pm

Yes it is a bit hard but I got all the hard stuff done, now I need to figure out how to properly create the service and add some other missing reg entries that are not in the INF

If I can only figure out which of the EXE's (wdssetup.exe or searchindexer.exe) is responsible for the extra reg entries and service.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:22 pm

I voted no that it's bloat I don't currently use XP x64, and in all likelihood, I'm probably not going to, so I just wanted to let you know in case you would prefer to not count my vote. I love the idea of x64 for so many reasons, but I'm just tired of finding fixes and workarounds or just doing without in some rare circumstances.

Anyway I felt compelled to vote and respond because of how disappointed I've been with Windows Search right from day one. And like a glutton for punishment I just keep trying out each new release. This actually baffles me as I don't tend to use desktop search all that frequently - I guess I'm fairly organized to begin with. When I do use it, I've been very satisfied with Copernic Desktop Search. Makes it real nice to search through 14GB of Adobe Acrobat documents.

RickSteele

Post by RickSteele » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:13 pm

Absafreakin'lutely not; nope, nada...pretty please! LOL

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:50 am

Well all I gotta say is good luck figuring this one out, its hard

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:23 pm

I voted no, but an alternative addon would serve people's needs. I'll try to work on it.

HJW
XPu Master

Post by HJW » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:02 pm

I would like to see the possibility of using a tweak hiding Windows Search from MU too..

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:30 pm

I did find this, but it doesn't work to hide it on MU in XP:
  • KB953959 - How to block the automatic delivery of Windows Search 4.0 to Windows Vista SP1-based computers that have the Automatic Updates feature enabled

beats

Post by beats » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:23 pm

How to hide ANY update you don't want from WU and MU.

- Install a system or VM with XP/SP3 and your favorite update pack.
- After the installation, go to WU or MU (whatever you prefer).
- Run the Full scan, but do NOT install anything yet.
- Check the "Don't show this update again" box for the updates you want to hide in the future.
- Quit WU/MU and reboot into Safe Mode.
- Copy %WINDIR%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\DataStore.edb to a safe place (an USB stick for example).
- Copy DataStore.edb to your unattended $OEM$\$$\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore directory.

Voila... next time you go to WU/MU with your new master image, the updates you don't want are gone. :)

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:03 pm

You can also run Services.msc and stop the Automatic Updates service to copy DataStore.edb instead of booting into safe mode. It's a bit faster. ;)

Then you can just replace the file that's in whatever update pack you're using.

I won't be doing this for WS4 in my Update Pack. Some people do use WS4.

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:37 pm

Thank you for the information on hiding updates beats. I am going to try that out. Thankfully 5eraph also linked to it from another thread. :shock: :D
A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open.
--Anonymous

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

vioplujjnsjzfg

Post by vioplujjnsjzfg » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:50 pm

beats wrote:- Copy DataStore.edb to your unattended $OEM$\$$\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore directory.

Voila... next time you go to WU/MU with your new master image, the updates you don't want are gone. :)
Sorry if I sound noobish here,:oops: but I am not completely understanding what to do with DataStore.edb. I ceated the
directory structure under the $OEM$ directory as shown and then placed DataStore.edb in the DataStore directory.
However, after install all updates are still getting prompted. Is there a way to integrate directly with RVMI or nLite?
Or have I missed another step along the way?

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:06 pm

Yes, you can integrate it directly using RVMi if you create an addon for it. If you're using an update pack then you shouldn't even need an Entries*.ini. Just Zip/RAR/CAB it and add the archive as an addon. Be sure to name the file within exactly as the update pack does, usually as "DataStor.edb".

ahmerkhan

Post by ahmerkhan » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:04 pm

Thanks for information.