Could use a bit of help, please.

Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Update Pack discussion.
Birdman

Could use a bit of help, please.

Post by Birdman » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:43 am

I have installed the stripped down Superior Windows XP 64-bit Version 3, 2009 March 2 and really like the way it has been set up and would like to use it as my everyday OS. However; I have come across a problem I can not solve and am hoping someone here can either guide me to a solution or provide the answer(s) for me. I am one of the unfortunates who are still stuck with a dial-up connection, thus I need to use a modem to access my ISP and therein lies my problem. I can not get this stripped down OS to see my modem, or recognize the drivers I have installed for it no matter what I attempt. Could it be as simple as this piece of hardware is not compatible with XP x64 ? The modem is a Agere Win Modem that came with this comp.

Thanks for any(all ) help provided.

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:32 pm

Most of your modems can use a default generic modem if it is set up with the correct settings. But under the assumption that the company who made the modem still exists, have you tried going to their website for an updated *x64 bit* driver?

Unless you are doing something on the modem that *requires* the software (sometimes caller ID, or some other special function), a generic modem set to the correct com port and speed settings will work just fine for you.
A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open.
--Anonymous

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:59 pm

"Superior Windows" is not supported here. It's warez.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:34 pm

I did not create or distribute this or any warez release of Windows; I am not responsible for supporting it. Nor should it be expected that I will support it, or that you will find support for it on this forum despite what you may read on warez distribution sites. (I suppose there was a reason spaces were added to the URL for this forum in those release notes. I sure as hell didn't put them there. ;))

Having said the above, from what I can see, modem support appears to have been removed from "Superior Windows XP 64-bit Version 3" by nLite. It cannot be restored.

I guess you know your work is popular when you find it in warez torrents. LOL

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:27 pm

Sorry my request upset so many. I wasn't aware this was a warez work as it was sent to me by a friend to help me out in building a new system. Like I said earlier I'm stuck on dial-up and anything I can do to save system resources and speed up my system I'm looking into.

Thanks for all the replies, I'll remove this OS from my box.

Passion

Post by Passion » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:07 am

5eraph wrote:(I suppose there was a reason spaces were added to the URL for this forum in those release notes. I sure as hell didn't put them there. ;))
It seems to have something to do with piratebay versus RyanVM, or so I've been told. Some URLs seem to be blocked by those kind Swedes..
I guess you know your work is popular when you find it in warez torrents. LOL
I see you guys've been mentioned there by name, even. Wow!

I guess in the end it will not damage development and support of this OS when stripped down versions of it appear in the wild. Although I've noticed microsoft has been more active lately in blacklisting the keys used by many stripped XP versions out there.