XP on 8th generation into chipset B360

Windows XP Professional Update Pack discussion.
gordo999

XP on 8th generation into chipset B360

Post by gordo999 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:15 pm

I am new here so please bear with me till I get the rules straight. I have read through a fair amount of the site trying to find information on the available service packs for XP and I was hoping one of them contained drivers that might get XP running on an 8th generation Intel B360 chipset, if that's possible. I did see a thread making such query but it was dated 2016.

I have W10 running on the new mobo (Asus B360M-C with an i5-8400 processor) with all onboard USB ports working, and I also have W7 running in a very stable state even though I had to use a peripheral USB 3 card to get USB functionality. I am still working on getting full functionality on the mobo USB ports even if I have to write my own drivers.

My old system had XP dual-booting with W7 and I don't want to discard XP. It's on its own disk and I have found it easy to do a repair install or possibly even an upgrade to XP pro. The downside is that my XP is 32 bit but the upside is that it will run apps that are 32 bit which don't perform all that will on newer versions of the windows OS.

I have nothing against upgrading my install to XP Pro but I don't know how that would affect 32-bit apps that need the pure 32-bit environment.

On a former newer mobo, XP worked really well, even though I had to supply SATA drivers to get it going. For me, it works as well as W10 and without the headaches and snooping of W10.

The SATA drivers that allow W7 to run on the B360 chipset currently is the Intel(R) C600+/C220+ series chipset SATA AHCI controller. They use drivers iaStorA.sys and iaStorF.sys both version 4.7.1098 from Intel. The C600 and C220 are apparently server chipsets.

However, W7 booted straight up from disk with its stock SP1 SATA drivers which were similar to the Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller using drivers atapi.sys. ataport.sys, msahci.sys, and pciidex.sys.

I don't see why the stock W7 drivers that allowed W7 to boot on the B360 Intel chipset won't work with XP on the B360 chipset. Anyone tried this with 300 series chipsets like the Intel Z, Q, or H series which use the same PCI bus as the B360.

mooms

Re: XP on 8th generation into chipset B360

Post by mooms » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:44 pm

Welcome here.

I'm afraid XP can't be used on this kind of hardware. Have you tried using virtualization software ? VirtualBox or VMWare are great.
Alteration of the world
Want to thank me ? If you buy something on Banggood with this link, I will earn a little %.

Dibya

Post by Dibya » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:45 am

You need to slipstream ahci driver

infuscomus

Post by infuscomus » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:27 am