hi kel

Discuss & post Update Pack addons here.
biatche
I can't read

hi kel

Post by biatche » Thu May 22, 2008 4:56 am

sorry i made that unofficial update, i didnt know it offended ya.... plus unlike mrs peel, you made no policy about it

i thought it would do good to people since its been many days and there was no release... plus you know your stuff is broken often, i wouldn't be offended bout it really if i were ya.

but i guess im terribly wrong for trying to fix something .. and state ill remove the link when an official is out.. and what more is that, you haven't made any reply since the last many days, and i know people would normally ask for permission, but then you never were around anyway.

i guess over here, trying to do something good often means doing something bad.

biatche
I can't read

Post by biatche » Thu May 22, 2008 5:02 am

yeah where's kel, its been broken for days.. i almost feel like making a 8.2.4 but maybe he wouldn't like it.. need it within the next few hours.. else i gotta make alterations myself
i posted that 3 days before i made that fix... but of course, its better everyone keep quiet until i release it then i get blamed for it..

marzsyndrome

Post by marzsyndrome » Thu May 22, 2008 9:08 am

It's a shame it came to this really. Reminds me of the thread I made on issues like this.

pen25jf

Post by pen25jf » Thu May 22, 2008 9:12 am

marzsyndrome wrote:It's a shame it came to this really. Reminds me of the thread I made on issues like this.
Like Ryan said in that thread, some things are taken too seriously. YET, if someone work's really hard at something (for free!) and advances others experiences and makes updating a helluva lot easier, ask first.]

biatche, you see the signature in Kel's posts? Where it's says "donate?" Click it. Nothing says sorry like a nice donation write-off. :wink:

biatche
I can't read

Post by biatche » Thu May 22, 2008 11:36 am

marz yeah, we understand each other.. its not like i didn't say anything before i made that release... plus i said ill remove it when an official is out

i can't believe people can react so immaturely over this case.. but whatever, once i find out how to create shortcuts inside control panel without using that pack, things would break less easily

I'll be clear
1. I appreciate everyone's work here. It saves everyone a lot of time.
2. Kel has good ideas for packs
3. Kel's stuff are often broken, and this time, it took ages to fix. Because the wait was long, I made a notice then a fix. The problem was reported when he was still active. I am not the only user, there are many, many would have lived the inconvenience. I finally made a quick fix. Just once ever.
4. Honestly, I spent many hours trying to figure out his broken inf's which breaks a lot of other stuff

i'll donate to people like ryan, ricktendo.. who really do splendid :) when i get a paypal account..

i dont think they'd fuss this much over something that would help people, which should be the primary focus here.. and not credits.

all in all.. it makes me look like the bad guy... but ok ill just accept that i am haha.

pen25jf

Post by pen25jf » Thu May 22, 2008 12:03 pm

I don't think anyone's sayin you're a bad guy dude, just think of it from their p.o.v.: If you made a script/pack/etc. and were too busy with life, etc. to fix it and someone comes along and updates it, you might be a little peeved, right?
I don't think the world's gonna end over this though :wink:

biatche
I can't read

Post by biatche » Thu May 22, 2008 12:39 pm

For me, if someone updates my stuff for a good reason (such as me getting knocked down by a truck and im unable to update, or im slow and lazy).. i couldn't care less.. in fact, i'd be happy.. of course it's good to mention who made the original release.

If I were selling this software, i'd surely be disgruntled.. though that's not the case

think of it this way.. how did rvm and all this start.. is it so that people would repeatedly say thanks? no, its surely to ease the life of setup. and mr ryan decided to share it. that's the primary purpose. making things work nice and fast. and for that, i truly appreciate.

but when you go ape and sour over CREDITS... especially when i made a few "notices".... i think then, some people just love being credited...

ok whatever, people have different views... in any case, i updated it for a good reason.. because people were hanging there.. (my counter showed 16 people downloaded it).. ... heck, i should be selfish and keep it to myself.

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Thu May 22, 2008 1:46 pm

I do not think the point was *specifically* you sharing it. I believe it was the principle.

I myself have updated one of Mrs. Peel's addons, but I am choosing not to release it just yet until I make it an addon of my own. With Mrs. Peel's work, I have learned a great bit on it. I might have even improved the addon just a bit with the latest version .... however, because it was based on someone *elses* work, it is still *not* mine. Ryan does have a policy about not taking credit for someone elses work. Especially not in the same thread of the original creator. Change it all you like, but unless you change most *everything* it is still the original creators release.

Yes we as humans can get petty, but let us try to work together.

Next time, I think it would be more appropriate *just* to specifically list the changes you made (even show them), but not to repost the addon until the next update. Give people the information and let them do the work themselves.
A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open.
--Anonymous

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

biatche
I can't read

Post by biatche » Thu May 22, 2008 2:44 pm

ok thx crashfly.

TechnoHunter

Post by TechnoHunter » Thu May 22, 2008 2:57 pm

i will have to check (search) but i swear i read a post by Mrs. P stating that she didnt mind if someone updated/changed one of her addons but dont dare call it hers cause she didnt release it.. if you re-released it with your changes to call it yours and give credit to who needs it (author/addon releaser/people who you learned from)

this isnt the post i read but it DOES show that even mrs Peel re-released things herself :)
Mrs Peel wrote:All credit for this addon goes to dgelwin who released his XP version of this here and then helped me tweak the code to work on Windows 2003 Server. All I did was just package his excellent work up with an entries file, so you should check the authors original post for the lowdown of how it all works.

Active Quicklaunch All Users for Windows 2003 Server
LINK: MrsP_Active_QuickLaunch_All_Users_v2003-070825
MD5: 74706B767E9FE1A48771458A91DDBB8E
SIZE: 3 KB
Description: Active QuickLaunch all users Windows 2003 Server
Op System: Windows 2003 (x86 only)
Builddate: 2007/08/25
Language: English
Title: QuickLaunch
Version: Win2003
License: Freeware
Installs to: Windows Registry
Uninstaller: Removes registry entries and restores to default windoze setting
Cheers for sharing your precious coding secrets with us dgelwin!!!

:D
this implies that what needs to happen is that you check with the addon maker first then make your own addon/thread with proper credit given..

course who am i to jump in.. i might be completely reading this wrong ;)

TechnoHunter

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Thu May 22, 2008 7:02 pm

TechnoHunter wrote:i will have to check (search) but i swear i read a post by Mrs. P stating that she didnt mind if someone updated/changed one of her addons but dont dare call it hers cause she didnt release it.. if you re-released it with your changes to call it yours and give credit to who needs it (author/addon releaser/people who you learned from)

this isnt the post i read but it DOES show that even mrs Peel re-released things herself :)

this implies that what needs to happen is that you check with the addon maker first then make your own addon/thread with proper credit given..

course who am i to jump in.. i might be completely reading this wrong ;)

TechnoHunter
Actually, that is *exactly* what I was referring to. Thank you for your view on it TechnoHunter. I think the actual problem with the original post was it's inclusion in Kel's thread. If one wants to post in the original creator's thread, they just need to give the information on how to change it. Otherwise, it needs to go into its own personal thread with proper credits given to the original creator.

Now that I think about it, that kind of cleared up how to explain it. Thanks TechnoHunter.
A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open.
--Anonymous

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Aussie

Post by Aussie » Thu May 22, 2008 7:07 pm

My two bits..if you want to update someone's created addon thats been dormant for sometime.....go ahead....just "don't" post it in their thread they created.....create a new thread for your addon. You can always give them a credit if so wished. Reason being they didn't code 99% of the files within.....except an entries and inf file or two.....there's "always" someone else's work involved.

Most boards always a few with big ego's that love to stroked :P

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Thu May 22, 2008 7:14 pm

Take it to PM. :lock:
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357